Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Page 20-7 of the Service Manual for 2009-2014 TRX420FA/FPA states that there is likely to be a short circuit in the system if there is battery current leakage exceeding 0.01mA. Is this a misprint (should it state 0.01A)? 0.01mA is a hundredth of a Milliamp, which equates to a hundred-thousandth of an Amp! A minuscule amount, surely irrelevant?

Or perhaps I am just used to seeing parasitic battery drain on a modern car which can be considerable and normal because of clocks, radio pre-sets, computers etc. A quad bike on the other hand generally has none of these items so perhaps there is no reason for there to be any current leakage at all - and if there is (even as little as 0.01mA), the Manual is advising that this should be investigated.

My bike has current leakage of 10mA, which is way over the limit if the Manual figure of 0.01mA is correct, but borderline if the Manual figure is intended to read 0.01A.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
As you suggested, that has to be a misprint.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree that it must be a misprint. You are right in that cars have a much higher acceptable threshold due to the larger battery. I use 25mA as a rule of thumb for cars. With that as a guide, I would think 10mA is a good rule of thumb value for ATV's. Many ATV's have clocks and other things that will draw some current. Usually if there is a drain problem, your current reading will be way up there at 500mA or more. Another good way to gauge this is that if your battery still has enough power to start the machine after sitting for a month, then you are in good shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.