Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how other people take care of their batteries.. By this I mean, how long would you leave your ATV stood before putting the battery on a trickle charge? Also, do you use sealed or non sealed batteries?

Interested to hear others opinions on this :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have a simple "quick connect" with a pigtail and plug the unit up every time not in use and that is true for all my equipment, i.e., boat, tractor, and stored vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool. I tend to charge mine the day after use if I've used the winch quite a lot or once a month if I've not used it at all.
The quick connection is a good idea though

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
most battery maintainers come with a lead like in the pic , it bolts to the terminals and has a fuse holder in line , it makes a great power source when you are not charging , I run the sound tubes off of them , you can buy those same plugs at auot supply stores and I have a couple of pig tails that convert that same 2 wire plug off the charges to alligator clips when needed , when not in use the cap.cover keeps it strapped to the rack

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
I run tenders on all my stuff. Jeeps, boat, ATV's, mowers, tractors. I use the $20 Schumacher units, and put the quick disconnect plugs on them that fishfiles pictured.

I drilled holes through the wall of my shop next to the awning I park the wheelers under, so that the units are inside and the wires just run out through the walls. When I back the wheelers in, I have the pigtail hanging out by the seat release and it's easy to plug the wheeler up.

Have noticed batteries last MUCH longer if you keep them topped off. When you have as much crap as I do replacing batteries all the time gets really pricey, so well worth the small investment for the tenders.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you use regular battery chargers just set on 'low' or a specific trickle charger? I use a regular but set to 'low'.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tenders are def the way to go. Did not ever think about using the pig tale as a power source. Like that idea.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
Tenders are def the way to go. Did not ever think about using the pig tale as a power source. Like that idea.
don't forget to change the fuse for a power source, they usually have a 2 amp fuse , I put a 15 in it and play a 400 watt sound tube , my light bars also use the same plug

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I wouldn;'t use JUST a charger, as they can over charge things if they don't have a shut down when fully charged
as for HOW Long between use and being on a trickle charger, this will honestly come down to WHAT ATV you have and what all is on it and was used
older atv's are LESS Likely to DRAIN a battery sitting than new one's
my 1999 400 foreman, sat for its first 14 yrs or so in a 3 sided barn with NO power, , temps in barn dropped well below freezing in winters and above 90's in summer, would run atv some times a few days a week and sum times would sit for a few weeks, winch got used often yr round,
NEVER had an issue with a LOW battery,
and averaged about 5-6 yrs out of a battery, NOT on a charger and NOT ever charged after any use, just ran and parked it, and it always started , unless battery was DEAD dead! LOL
ATV's at my hunting camp, of mixed brands and sizes, will EAT a battery in a few weeks left parked< too much gadgets on them that suck power when parked!
its ALWAYS best to have hooked up to a trickle charger if you can, will add a yr or MORE of life to a battery, than one that doesn't have it on!

but its NOT a huge difference again on older atv's that just don't have a ton of electric robbing items on them IMO!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I use a 2amp trickle charger/maintainer but not constantly/ I try to top up the charge every couple months. My 420, bought new in May 07 and my 07 Rincon are both on original batteries. They are also used in the winter here and we put on a hell of a winter,

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Trickle charger .... Have a quick disconnect lead off of the battery. Use this lead for my electric vest .... works well!

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
Do you use regular battery chargers just set on 'low' or a specific trickle charger? I use a regular but set to 'low'.
Don't use a charger on low voltage , it will continually "cook" the battery ,where as a battery maintainer will turn on and off as needed and give a very small amp charge

1 - 14 of 14 Posts