Honda ATV Forum banner

Bad Rocker Arm????

18K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Turboboosted 
#1 ·
I have the Rocker Cover off so that I can replace the gasket that I blew.

One of the rocker arms looks really worn down, so I will be replacing it.

QUESTION: Is it okay to replace only one rocker arm and not the other?

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep,they're bad,and so is the camshaft...You hafta replace them both along with the camshaft...Also may wanna check the oiling system to see if it is providing oil to the top end,or not....:icon_ devil:

#4 ·
You'll destroy the new rocker arm with the old cam,or the new cam using either of those two old rocker arms...Check out feebay for good used parts for it...

#5 ·
A hot cam on ebay is 120 new...both rockers factory Honda $80 new on ebay ....listen to us that motor will be garbage if u dont change the cam and rockers ...also change the oil filter and make sure the oil pump is pumping oil up to the head or your $200+your time invested wont last verry long

#7 ·
Wow!
Those rockers are trashed.

That entire top end is trashed most likely.

I agree with everyone else that you will need a new/used cam.

Also cam bearings, one way bearing, timing chain, timing chain guides, piston, rings, valve seals, and a bore and hone job.

Possibly as well you may need valves and/or seats and guides.

You are looking at quite the expensive rebuild my friend.

You can definitely rebuild it if you have the time, money, and patience.
The info on this site is enough to get you started with a basic knowledge of your quad and everyone here is a huge help.

That being said,
If the rebuild is too much for you (money or work/time wise)
You may want to consider selling the bike as it is and taking your losses.

Let us know what you plan to do.
You have knowledgeable people who can give you good feedback at your finger tips.

Welcome to the forums.
Oh400ex

#8 ·
Yep, both of those rocker arms are real bad. And I'm sure the cam is, too.

#9 ·
You may be able to locate a complete used head with cam,and rockers still in it in good usable condition locally from a service shop,or Craigslist,or via word of mouth,or off feeBay for under 1fitty...That is the route I'd take before I threw in the towel,or bought all new parts for it...:icon_ devil:

#11 ·
Ive taken the rocker arms into my local powersports, and the Honda Powersport dealer, they both said that the Exhaust rocker arm needs to be changed and the other one is okay. May the pic is not good enough for you guys, and makes it look worse. I asked about the cam and they said it would be okay.

Im gunna go with that decision for two different reasons...
One being that they are proffesionals and are seeing it first hand and Second because I don't have more than $100 to spend on the bike.

Wil be selling after my next riding trip. I will tell the next owner what has happened here.

Thanks for the help tho guys

#12 ·
Be prepared for it to not last long. Unless the pictures are fooling me, I'm pretty sure they're both shot. Those pads on the rocker arms should be convexed outward, not concaved inward. And they're supposed to be smooth and sleek. But it's your quad......your call.

#13 ·
Hey,

The "professionals" at the local shop told you that you could reuse a cam after it did that kind of damage to those hardened steel rockers?

Did they see the cam?

I just can't imagine any knowledgeable mechanic making that call.

Plus, one look at the pictures and you can see how much shrapnel was in that motor.

Your decision to put it back together is a bad one.
It will not last and will just do more damage to other parts of the motor.

That's my opinion,
But like Helmut said... It's your quad and your decision to make.

Oh400ex

#14 ·
Hey everyone,
I’m new to the community and know this thread is old. I picked up an 2001 Honda rancher Trx 350fe. I it has a bad tick in the top end. The guy I got it from put the oil filter in wrong so it got no oil to the top end. I’m buying a big bore kit that comes with a new top end. The only thing it don’t have is the rocker arms. Should I buy new ones and a new cam? Or run the old one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.