Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I'm very new to atvs and carbs for the most part.
I rebuilt the carb on my 89 trx350d Foreman and just put it on, hooked it all up, bike is running great but then I noticed it was leaking gas.

There's a few rubber lines that attach to the carb and 2 go away from it. One attaches to a T close to the the top of the carb and goes somewhere towards the front.
There's another one that connects to a T by the bowl, the line went towards the rear of the bike, it appears to have a filter or something in line of it. That line is currently not connected to anything on one end and it is leaking gas at an alarming rate. I don't remember disconnecting it from anything when I took it apart but that doesn't mean I didn't. If anyone knows what this line was connected to and where, or if it isn't supposed to be connected to anything why it would be leaking gas from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good job cleaning the carb sounds like it works good however the rubber line at the bottom of the bowl is over flow which mean your float is stuck.
Tap on the bowl with a screw driver to see if it breaks loose or take it apart again and clean that float valve. Make sure the rubber tip of it is not damaged and plyiable and completely clean. Also blow high pressure air throughtbtgat hole the valve seats in if you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried tapping on it once I clued in what exactly it was which didn't work u fortunately. Going to take the bowl off and ensure it's moving freely, it's a new float valve so tip should be good. Carb was laying on it's side in my car for a week before putting it back on so wondering if maybe the rod slid out of the float and jammed as everything was well cleaned when it was apart. Guess I'll find out when I pull the bowl off.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
You may find the rubber on the jet isn't seating properly, I used a cotton bud and toothpaste to clean up the alloy where that jet sits, worked a treat.
Also, I used an Allballs carb repair kit on my 250, ended up buying an OEM jet as the allballs wouldn't seal at all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You may find the rubber on the jet isn't seating properly, I used a cotton bud and toothpaste to clean up the alloy where that jet sits, worked a treat.
Also, I used an Allballs carb repair kit on my 250, ended up buying an OEM jet as the allballs wouldn't seal at all.
The is a good point by samUK you could maybe try your old valve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worth a try, it was an all balls kit i used and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the original valve when I took it out, do still have it. Probably going to do that tomorrow, make sure everything is moving freely and maybe stick the old valve back in as I know it worked properly. Never did this before.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I will NEVER use an All Balls ANYTHING ever again!!!!!

The bearings wear out faster, it appears carb kits don't seal rite, they are junk!

Reactions: SamUK and _Wilson_

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
^^^Also, what Wheeler said!!^^^

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I am having the same issue, What rebuild kits do you guys reccomend? mine is 2003 trx450 foreman s
If you attempt to use anything other than OEM parts in an OEM carb then you're buying useless china junk and all the additional problems created by them... garbage in = garbage out.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
LOL my first kit was all balls and seemed OK it had the little plug I needed and some extra bits. My second was a shindy i liked it better but it didn't have all the hardware I needed.

Get some pipe cleaners and swabs for cleaning passages. I recommend using little toothbrush like brushes from a gun cleaning kit nylon or copper the steel brush may damage aluminum of the carb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts