Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been backing up trailers since 1967 and can snake them around anything with my truck without thinking. I learned by putting my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and while either looking in the mirror or looking back move my hand in the direction the trailer needs to go. However I was backing a small trailer full of archery targets with the Rancher today at the club and had lots of trouble figuring which way to turn the handle bars without a lot of false starts, jackknifes and pulling forward, etc.

Any trick to it to make it easier? Or do I just have to practice more?

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
go slow and practice, its a super short wheel base on both atv and trailer, making them fight you, longer trailers are a breeze compared to small one'! its just the nature of the beast I think with them!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think today I had to think too much to do it and I was in a couple of tight spots on the trail. I'll try to come up with a little mantra like "pull ____ handle bar to make trailer go to the right".

·
Registered
324 Posts
Practice.
With the wide turning radius of an ATV and the difference in input/feel with handlebars, they can be difficult, and different, to use for backing up a trailer. I've found that the length of the trailer tongue plays a big part in the geometry. I built a narrow, heavy duty trailer to use behind my 300, and the length of the tongue (4') is perfect in conjunction with the turning radius of the ATV. I can back that thing anywhere, and the trailer doesn't jackknife quickly- it responds well to steering input.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
It's definitely a case of practice makes perfect. I tow a 5'x4' trailer daily at work and have no issues reversing. However, when we first got the trailer reversing it seemed to be a spectator sport! Lots of finger pointing and laughs were had!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sam, I know what you mean. Did you ever hang out at a public boat ramp during the peak of the summer at the shore. A case of beer and you have entertainment all day. Same here, no problems with a truck and trailer but the ATV is different. I finally figured my mantra out for the ATV. PUSH the handle bar on the side of the direction you want the trailer to start moving. You want the trailer to start moving to your right, push the right handle bar and visa versa. Yesterday my mind was thinking PULL and it screwed me up. The rest is practice.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
No, but where I live we get a lot of tourists with motor homes and caravans, it does get entertaining I must say.
It took me a while to adapt to the handlebar motion rather than a steering wheel, it feels unnatural to start with and then all of a sudden younjuat get the hang of things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts