Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into a Foreman 500 I'm getting a deal on it because it smokes a little and it needs a rear end. Does anyone know what it would run me to buy parts to fix it. And is there any other issues that I should look for on the bike? Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
HAHA< do you know what the winning numbers will be for the powerball??

Its impossible top tell you what its going to cost without a LOT more info

are you doing all work, or paying some one?

BIG difference in costs right there

next WHY is motor smoking> neither you or US can tell you, its one of them things, you figure out once your in the motor, as to what all is BAD< is it JUST a top end , or will bottom end need re doing as well>??
again, load un answerable questions till you get in there!, and just a top end to a WHOLE new re do, is a BIG difference in prices!

next rear end is SHOT,
is it just a stripped spines on an axle, or, is total rear end needed??
again, BIG difference in costs.
Sorry for seeming like a jerk here, NOT my goal, but its very hard for us to tell you what its going to cost, and don';t want to have someone tell you its going to cost "X" and then when you actually get it opened up and fixed, the bill is a LOT more than someone told you.

buying broken in need of repairs is a gamble, that price HAS to be low enough for the gamble, and you NEED the time and the skills to DO the work yourself to come out ahead of things
Paying someone to do all this work, will most likely cost more than the atv is worth to have fixed!

again, just being honest here !

if you want more BALL park guesses, just give more info if you can

HOW many miles and hrs on motor?
does it look like it was SUNK, what noises come from the rear end?, and any other better info you can provide?
more we know, better we can help you?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
from what I know of ?. the trx500's have a bad design on the oil drain threads !. they will break off, drain bolt won't hold tight, oil leaks out. if this is the case ?, then I would say the motor is trashed. a smoking engine tells me it was sunk ?, or the rings just flat out wore down from no oil ?, or got to hot ?. as said above ^^^, we can't tell you the cost of what your looking at ?, we have no idea just how bad this trx500 is without tearing it down ourselves ?!. this is an open book. It might cost couple hundred bucks ?, or it might cost a couple thousand bucks ?. until you tear into it, or have someone do it ?, we can't tell you a number. but !!. going by what you have said ^^^, it will need a top end rebuild. prob a piston kit, top end gasket kit, maybe a cam chain ?, this will run you a couple hundred bucks. IF it needs a crank ?, now your looking at a few hundred bucks just for the crank !. a rear end rebuild will run you a few hundred bucks if your replacing all rear in axle parts, such as differential ring gear, pinion gear, axle, hubs, bearings, seals. this should give you an idea what to expect in cost, but its in NO WAY A SOLID COST ?!. as you and us have not torn it apart :). if I was doing it for you ?, I give members a very low labor fee, as I know labor is not cheap if you took it to a dealership !. I would charge you a couple hundred bucks for labor, and you pay for all parts.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
also, expect to have the cylinder bored, as most times, when rings go out, so does the cylinder bore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts