Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Axle Nut Madness!!!!!

Hello. I am new to the forum. I just replaced carrier and axle on my 1997 300 ex. I am having trouble getting the lock nut backed over the c ring on the axel. I am clear on how to do it. When I tighten it, the c ring does not go under the nut. It almost seems as though the axel grove is not deep enough for the c ring. Has anyone ever heard of this problem before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Is the axle you put on to replace the old one a stock 300ex axle for sure? Some aftermarket axles require a different type of locking nut then the stock one. The aftermarket locking nuts also require a thicker ring and they dont go all the way over it. They just butt up against it and there is a smaller groove. Thats my first thought.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Yeah or get an aftermarket billet locking nut assembly. I had to get one for the rpm dominator axle on my 300 i had like 5 years ago. I got a modquad billet locking axle nut assembly off ebay for like 50 bucks.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Yeah unless you know someone who has one or have one yourself. Machine shops would need an arm a leg and maybe something even more important lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Axle nut madness

Purchased a Durablue posi lock nut. It is to arrive on Wednesday. Will let you know if it works. Keep your fingers crossed!!
Thanks again for the suggestion. Love this forum already!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is an up close pic of the Posi lock nut. It still bothers me that the c ring is exposed. Do you think it is the axle groove is not deep enough? Or does this look ok? I am very frustrated!! Thanks for any advice

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Never seen this brands posi lock nut. But looks to be on backwards to me. The threaded part should go against the brake rotor hub. Does the other end have a beveled edge? If it does then that would confirm my theory. The bevel would be for the c-clip to fit into.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Factory Spec. Bought it off Ebay. Said they had sold 282. Not sure if I could try to find a different c clip, like the one that holds the carrier, just one that fits axle. I just don't want to put it all back together the way it looks right now.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Never heard of that brand. More than likely its a china knock off or something. Not surprised its not working. They like to skew tolerances and cut corners. After googling it sure enough made in Taiwan. I would be most concerned it may break and you could hurt yourself when/if it does. China parts also like to use inferior metals and have weak spots.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
No problem at all!
Rpm dominator is life time guaranteed free replacement if it bends or breaks. Price Reflects that tho.
Lonestar is a good solid axle. middle price range
Durablue isnt the best but not bad for the price
G-Force would be my last choice

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your knowledge has been helpful and greatly appreciated. I guess I should have done my homework. Back to square one. I will probably go middle of road. I just recreationally ride with my boys. I'll let you know what I go with. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Honestly try looking up gdh racing on ebay. They sell really really good quality used parts really cheap. I have purchased countless parts from them and have nothing but good things to say about all of them. They would probably have a stock replacement axle for your quad cheap. I honestly never spent my money on an aftermarket axle of any kind.(One was on my 300ex when i got it) Seen lots of them through the years though on people quads i was racing against or just riding with and the stock axle holds up just fine for even light weekend warrior racing and any recreational riding or trail riding really. No real need to spend the extra money unless your really wanting one. My .02

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.