Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever added extra lights to their sport ATV? I will be picking up my TRX400 when I get back from Afghanistan, and although it is a toy, I will take it hunting with me, so I was thinking that aux lights or at least a 12v hookup would be a good idea. I had aux lights on my VFR for 2 years and they were great on the 5000 mile trip I took, so I thought that I would consider it on the TRX...

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
You will most likely need a stator that puts out more juice.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If I remember the stock stator puts out 147ish watts at 5000 rpm way less at idle. Most people that put aux lights have them switched to run separate from the stock lighting.I wouldn't run them at low rpm. There will be No charge going to the battery.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I saw at the farm store (orschlens) the other day they have small LED driving lights. No idea what kind of light they put out but LED's shouldn't draw near as much as two 55w Halogens. I think I might try some for 20 bucks. Not out much if they are crap.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
These Caterpillar lights work great and are extremely bright with 12V 100 watt H3 bulbs. You would have to have a good charging system to run them, though. I had these on a Grizzly that I used to have. If I met someone in the road, I would have to turn them off, before they could see to pass, because they were blinded. I would recommend these to anyone needing extremely bright lights. Like I said though, you have to have a good charging system. The Grizzly that I had them on did.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Those are some bright light Helmut we use them on all the John Deere construction equipment and the Dozers have the little round Halogens that are super bright too.. But I reccomend the H.I.D. kits very low wattage and high output.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, the HID lights would be a lot better for an ATV. Most ATVs probably don't have a good enough charging system to run these, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
my 89 trx350d has a 300 something watt stator..but..it also has the main headlight..and the sub lights on the lower front grill cap..soo..i think i've got plenty of front lights...lol..still haven't got the rear red L.E.D. light bulb installed yet..but that will use alot less power to run..and brighter...i've been thinking of hooking up one or two lights for the back..for when i need to back up at night..gonna tie them into my reverse..soo..when i go to reverse..they should come on..havent checked to see if at all i can run two..or one..or even if the reverse can handle that much power draw..this is all in the test phase..lol.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
my 89 trx350d has a 300 something watt stator..but..it also has the main headlight..and the sub lights on the lower front grill cap..soo..i think i've got plenty of front lights...lol..still haven't got the rear red L.E.D. light bulb installed yet..but that will use alot less power to run..and brighter...i've been thinking of hooking up one or two lights for the back..for when i need to back up at night..gonna tie them into my reverse..soo..when i go to reverse..they should come on..havent checked to see if at all i can run two..or one..or even if the reverse can handle that much power draw..this is all in the test phase..lol.
Yeah, those big square lights on the handlebars put out a lot of light. They put out more light than both of the smaller ones.

On the backup light, wire it into the reverse circuit, but use a relay. That way you can run the power wire straight from the battery to the backup light and the signal or trigger for the relay won't draw much current.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
good advice helmut..thank's for the info !!..saved me a few cuss words !..lmao

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing since I had the exact same plan. Relay of the reverse light to kick on a bigger light in back. Relays are very handy to have around. :icon_wink:

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
yep fourtrax...i got two driving lights i was gonna mount in the back..but..i checked it out today..and there isn't any place thats big enough to mount them..lol...soo..i'll have to get me some smaller lights..and the relay..lol..i'm sure i can locate some kinda small set of lights to fit...and will tie them into my reverse..i think it wil be a handy little addon..when your out in the woods..or where ever..and you need to see what your backing up to !..lol.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
yep fourtrax...i got two driving lights i was gonna mount in the back..but..i checked it out today..and there isn't any place thats big enough to mount them..lol...soo..i'll have to get me some smaller lights..and the relay..lol..i'm sure i can locate some kinda small set of lights to fit...and will tie them into my reverse..i think it wil be a handy little addon..when your out in the woods..or where ever..and you need to see what your backing up to !..lol.
Yeah, they will definitely be handy. I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I just haven't gotten around to it, yet.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Thats a really good idea.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Those should work well.lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts