Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you plan on buying a nice set of tires for your quad KEEP IT OFF THE ROAD!!!
especially the big mud tires

the tread on a atv tire unlike the tread on a car tire which is completely on the road at all times and has no space in between the lugs.

O-car tires(the whole tire makes contact with the road which takes longer for the tire to wear down
*-fourwheeler tires(the star represents the atv tires cause only the lugs hit the road and where down faster.

you can keep a set of atv tires at 70% tread for a good 5 years IF you keep it off the road

If you ride on the road expect 50% tread to be left on it with in a year or two

lastly ive been riding itp terra cross on the road since early febuary and they are starting to where down FAST.

so if you ride on the road a lot keep your stock tires on,

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hey, did you get a new quad?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
generally that is true, that is if you run a bias ply tire. but if you buy steel belted radials like maxxis bighorns you have alot more longevity out of them riding on pavement

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Another important thing to consider is the softness/hardness of the rubber the tire is made of. A soft rubber compound usually gets better traction off road, but will wear quickly on asphalt. Harder rubber would last longer on asphalt, but not get as much traction off road, compared to the softer rubber.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I dont understand why so many people ride on the road so much. Buy a motorcycle. geezz! Its called a ATV for a reason.:blink::wacko::dry::icon_rolleyes::huh:

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i ride mine around neighbor hood sometimes just for fun but i dont really notice tire wear from that on the mudlites, its prolly fromm doing donuts on a rock

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I use back roads to get from one trail to another. But they are mostly dirt roads. Now railroad tracks, which up here we ride a lot on, eats your tires up more than any road I've encountered.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont understand why so many people ride on the road so much. Buy a motorcycle. geezz! Its called a ATV for a reason.:blink::wacko::dry::icon_rolleyes::huh:
i can tell you exactly why most people ride on the road most dont have enough trails around them to get the riding satisfaction the want so they ride on the road also other people like me its the only form of trasnportation they have so unfortunately they have to ride it on the road to get where they are going. and some people have to ride the road to get to the trails they want.
i started this thread for people that ride on the road alot that plan on getting expensive tires will be wasting A lot of money

70% of my riding is on the road

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why not buy a motorcycle if you know your gonna ride on the road so much?:huh: Im not tryn to stir any stink.I just think its a waste of a good atv.:icon_ peace:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
They also sell street tires for ATVs.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Like mafia said, it's not so much that people are riding roads only, they are using them to connect the trails. The majority of people don't just ride on roads because they can or feel like it, well the people in states or country's that allow it might. But I ride roads to connect trails. When I want to ride roads legally, then ya I just get on my bike and go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ride roads a lot because its how I get around while at my cottage. I go from cottage to cottage on the roads, and some of them happen to be paved. I also ride from trail to trail on roads as well. I cant exactly take a bike or a car in the places I go after I get off the road though.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My tires are getting eaten alive from drifting around my buddies drive way and from dragging up and down the private road all the time. Pavement it fun but it really is hard on tires!

·
Registered
383 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts