Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just bought my first ATV, a nice older TRX350FE, mainly to help me maintain the property that my SO and I recently purchased. I've had many Honda 2 wheelers (and a few other brands that will remain nameless), but this is my first foray into the world of ATVs. Good w/ a wrench, and eager to learn this machine!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Hey blue! Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If handy with wrenches, I would suggest servicing everything, i.e., differentials, oil, air filter, plug, etc., so you have a baseline to build upon going forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. If handy with wrenches, I would suggest servicing everything, i.e., differentials, oil, air filter, plug, etc., so you have a baseline to build upon going forward.
Absolutely agree. That will be the first things done after I get it home today. Carb was just rebuilt, new wheels/tires, new winch, fresh oil/filter. Both diffs will get fresh fluid this weekend, and new plug, air filter service, etc. are on tap as well. I'm kinda a fanatic about keeping things clean, so a good scrub and polish will be part of the plan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Doug,

You likely know this, and only passing along on the outside chance you aren't familiar with ATV's. Do make sure the engine oil is JASO MA, wet clutch approved and not standard auto engine oil which is available widely but generally keep in a completely different section from regular engine oil. Also, I have had very good luck with this really cleaning the aluminum cleaner, engine, diff's etc. Also, I would consider given the age of this bike lubing the cables with a good oil as well.

I along with many look for to seeing a few before and after pictures :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doug,

You likely know this, and only passing along on the outside chance you aren't familiar with ATV's. Do make sure the engine oil is JASO MA, wet clutch approved and not standard auto engine oil which is available widely but generally keep in a completely different section from regular engine oil. Also, I have had very good luck with this really cleaning the aluminum cleaner, engine, diff's etc. Also, I would consider given the age of this bike lubing the cables with a good oil as well.

I along with many look for to seeing a few before and after pictures :)
Thanks alloutdoors, I had forgotten about lubing the cables. I am familiar w/ wet clutches from my time on 2 wheels, thanks for the input though. I appreciate it. What did you use for cleaning the aluminum engine and diff aluminum? I'd love to get them cleaned up a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts