Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
well my point about getting it back to a dealer is simple
GIVE Them the chance to see the problem before you correct it
IF HONDA is ever going to know about the problem it has to come from many dealers pointing it out to Honda
second, IF for any reason that is NOT the issue, and someone takes apart something, and a dealer points itout, IF that dealer wnats to be a jerk, they can then blame the owner for the issue's,as they never seen them before the woner took something aparts
its best to get it noted at the dealership there is a problem,
and IF they THEN want to charge you for fixing it, just tell them NO< you will do so yourself
why risk voiding the warranty on a new machine, IT can happen, is my point!
if the fix is what it seems, NO harm will come from letting the dealer know about it, and allowing them the chance to correct!, at least it goes on record then, there IS a problem

maybe if more folks told dealer about this bad grease, Honda woul already have knowledge of it and a fix they have dealers do???

I have NO idea how Honda doesn't know about it , as seems to be ton's of folks with this issue? lol
again, just my 2 cents here

·
Registered
118 Posts
couldn't agree with you more mrbb put the ball in the dealers hand have it recorded the grease may be the problem but my brother in laws motor bad the splines wore prematurely after ten phone calls Honda agreed to replace it so keep on them and remember this if you do the work your self and have issues there response will be should of brought it in I have a manual trans not one problem with it good luck keep use posted:icon_gd:

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
MRBB: I will direct my contacts at Honda to your statement above. The more that they hear that their grease really is causing a problem, the more likely they will be to believe it, and do something about it. Thus far, they have been very responsive to the information I have given them. But, again, the more people they hear from, the better.
Unfortunately, a LOT (if not all) the fault (that Honda hasn't been aware of this) comes from their very dealers - as the dealers have not reported the problem to them. In the early days (2007) when I had my atv to the dealer 3 times for the problem, the dealer told me nothing was wrong, and never reported the complaint to Honda. I have since learned that things generally only get reported to Honda when an actual repair has been made and a warranty claim has been filed. If no repair is made, nothing gets filed or reported. I also brought that to the attention of Honda and they have assured me that they will be making some changes in that area.
The reason that I advise the customer/owner to change the grease themselves is:
1. It won't affect the warranty; just as changing your oil yourself won't affect the warranty,
2. The likelihood that the dealer will fix the problem is small, and the likelihood that they will replace the grease with anything other than factory grease is even smaller.

Honestly, and in consideration of what I have been through with this problem, I would recommend changing the grease one's self, then writing, or calling Honda Powersports in California (the address and phone is in your owners' manual) and let them know what you had to do to remedy the problem. That way, you/we can be assured that 1. The problem is fixed, and 2. That Honda is aware of the problem and that their customers are having to fix it themselves in order to get it fixed correctly.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
KEntco, I agrree some what, BUT a complaint coming from a dealer will be heard loudrer than one coming from a customer onwing one atv
a GOOD dealer will report issue's theer having to HONDA
I know this for a fact
and why I suggested, maybe try a different dealer to get the satisfaction you want
honda I bet gets a ton of calls from individuals, and I will bet they also tend to blow off them, even if they seem interested on the phone, as they don't want to be rude to customers, but until A binch of dealers notify them iof issue's they will more likely turn a smile and nod, and leave it at that! SADLY , but true!

next, on a new atv, I would be reporting this issue to the dealer for sure, I would also give them the chance to make it right and make the customer happy!
a GOOD dealer will listen to its customer and if there
MOST of the treads about e is valid info, or request, odds are they will work together and solve the issue
by by passing the dealer and just repairing the fix, its not solving the problem really for future owners
also, most of the treads about this common issue is with older atv's that have seen some years or miles
NOT a new one
so reporting the issue to the dealer is a solid suggestion , incase it turns out to be something else! or again, just so they get the complaint on paper
I am NOT saying he shouldn't fix this himself, by all means he can
WHAT I am saying is IF I just paid a few grand for an atv and it didn't shift right, I wouldn't be fixing it myself, without letting the dealer and Honda know I have problems with it, and I would tell them after doing research, I found a possible fix, would the dealer be willing to correct it??

an NEW atv should work, and shouldn't require a owner to take apart, remove grease and replace with better grease to just drive and shift it!

funny how a manual shift never has this problem LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
i will tell my dealer about it dont think ill be calling honda anytime soon last time i called they were not helpfull at all just kept telling me there tecs have no problems and i must be stupid so we all know what that means tough tit sorry you took the time to call lmao better luck with dealer i think

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I think that is why its better off going to the dealer, doesn't mean they will help, but face to face always worked better for me than phone call!

as HONDA< hearing form anyone BUT a dealer, has NO way of knowing what the persons skills are, calling them, so they tend to just play it off as , SURE WHAT EVER! type of call eb polite but ??

a dealer, they tend to think has the means to know what the issue is and possible issue's causes or fixes
so they might take it as a stronger suggestion coming from a dealer, all the more so when a LOT of dealers call about same issue's
I have to think Honda like many BIG companys, gets thousands of calls about folks complaining about this and that, and as such, filter it out pretty well LOL
leaving problems to come from dealers that have to fix and solve them, unles maybe they get a few thousand on the same issue

ITs good to vent some times on them however, but most times, its watsed air and words LOL

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Unfortunately, this problem has been taken to Honda dealers all over the United States and they have failed to: 1. Fix the problem, or 2. Report it to Honda.
I can assure you that Honda is not pleased about this.

But, on the bright side, virtually everyone that I have suggested this FIX to has reported success after they (the customer) have fixed the problem by replacing the grease. Again, Honda is not pleased to hear that people have had to fix the problem themselves.

It is for this reason that I advise people (for the time being) to simply replace that grease themselves. Additionally, it can be done in less time than it takes to load up the atv, drive it to the dealership, leave it at the dealership for a couple of days, be told nothing is wrong with it, and then, have to drive back to the dealership with a trailer, pick the atv up, and take it home....... in the same condition it left home in.

Changing the grease in the shift motor shouldn't take the average person more than 15 minutes, and it doesn't affect a warranty. (if the machine is in warranty at all). Most people who have experienced the problem of incomplete shifting have ES machines that date back as far as 2003. And, for all the (majority) of the people who's machines are not in warranty, it would be a financial shame to have the dealer charge them over $100 for something they could easily do in a few minutes. What IS important however, is that more people contact Honda Powersports and simply let them know that "their ES machine was not shifting completely until they replaced the gummy, stiff grease that Honda put in the shift motor during manufacture." That way, it will reinforce that which I have brought to Honda's attention, and if enough people report the problem TO HONDA (not to the dealer!), it might even result in a retroactive recall - in which people with older machines could get the problem fixed for nothing, or at least at a reduced rate.
Note to all: When you contact Honda (about this, or any other problem), do so in a mature, respectful, and helpful way. If you contact them and tell them how angry, or inconvenienced you are, you'll accomplish less. If you provide information so that they can establish a record of troubles, your input will be positive and constructive and it will benefit everyone.
Here's the address:
American Honda
Attention: Motorcycle Customer Support
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
1-866-784-1870
The case # on the matter of the stiff grease in the shift motors, is: M012015-01-1900928

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in this boat and will be doing the fix myself on my practically brand new 2014 at with 25 hrs on it, im sick of the slow shifts if it shifts at all! No more dashes in my future hopefully but access to the shift motor will require taking mud guards and possibly fender off, not just the side, i took a look...

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I'm in this boat and will be doing the fix myself on my practically brand new 2014 at with 25 hrs on it, im sick of the slow shifts if it shifts at all! No more dashes in my future hopefully but access to the shift motor will require taking mud guards and possibly fender off, not just the side, i took a look...
When or if you remove the gears to clean the grease off make sure the Spindle Gear goes back in the same position that it came off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 2013 Rancher AT did that; bought it new. Every now and then it would get stuck showing the dash (-) symbol. It only did it when going from drive to neutral or to reverse. It did it more often when it was getting broke in. Now @ 42hrs & 290 miles later it very rarely does it now if at all. Can't remember the last time it did it. Give it time to break in. My brother has a 2010 Rancher AT and his did that when it was new and now as far as I know it dosent anymore. He's had no problems out of his 2010. Hint thats why I waited to get mine; wanted to see how his would hold up...lol So far its been a great 4wheeler.
If mine ever decides to do it regularly then i'll do what Kentco did to his.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Manual doesnt state how to replace gears in same position...
If you have a service manual go section 24 page 24-23 it shows how to align it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Just to update, put in gn4 oil shifting improved. Also temps have been a little warmer...
Put in some good synthetic oil and your shifting will I'm prove even MORE!! And your engine will run cooler!! Mobil1-4t is what I and many other members have used and have had great results.

Trust me on this.... I didn't think it would make a big difference in shifting and keeping the engine cooler but IT DOES!!! Other members will back me up on this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
White Rancher (and everyone else with ES shifting difficulty): Welcome to the forum.
Here's the fix:
Remove the shift motor and gears (very simple to do).
Remove all the factory stiff, gummy grease that was put in the shift gears.
Now, replace all that grease with a liberal amount of ALL-temperature, White Lithium Grease.
Reassemble, and your shifting will be better. This works for all ES models except the Rincon.
----------------
I have notified Honda of this fix and the 2016 models will have White Lithium Grease in them.
Do not expect a dealer to fix this problem for you as Honda has not yet notified them.
Hi there !! I´m from Argentina and no one was able to fix it. We use our TRX 420 2012 in our farm and is driving us crazy. Will try this solution, but, I could only find two similar products of the one you mentioned, so my question is which one of these two do you recommend ?:

or this:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts