Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 (old style) Rancher 420 AT IRS gets stuck in gears often, can hear the shift motor clicking like its trying to shift. Usually it will just show a dash in the gear selector then I hit the throttle a little and it clunks into gear. Maybe this is normal but it shouldn't be. Thanks

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
the grease in the shift motor gets thick and causes issues
take apart, clean regrease.
this should solve your problem
could also have water in there also causing it to freeze up some.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe there is something wrong with the electronics? Do you think it might be a sensor or something and the shift motor isn't getting enough power to put the bike into gear. It is an electric shift right?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i am haveing the same problem with my 2015 rubi DCT/ESP/IRS by times. if you turn the bike off and then turn the key back on and then try to shift is usually fixes it for me also have to just hit the throttle a bit some times when stoped and down shift from 4th or 5th back to 1st it will disply a - symbol tap the gas and sometimes it will fix itself . i was wondering if this was normal as well new bike to me first honda unsure of the normal operating just yet but my buddy has a 2009 rincon with 14000 km on it and he said he never had a problem like that with his but it is a 3 speed tranny not 5

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do most autos do this? The grease can cause problems when its warmed up? It only has 300 miles, I kinda expect new stuff to be problem free for a few years. Shoulda got a foot shift.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
NO if its new it should work, take it back to the dealer and have them check it out
shifting should be working all the time cold or hot
ciontact your dealer ASAP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called them the other day they said it was from the straight cut gears and dual clutch transmission. They told me its totally normal don't worry about it, they all do it. Losing some faith in Honda here

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi there I think that dealer is telling you a bunch of bs look in your owners manual in the back is a phone number to there corporate office in torrence California call them have model and serial number ready unfortantly the majority of dealers are independents I had same problem with a dealer in Pittsburgh they just carry the Honda logo keep on them cause you don't want to pay out of pocket there is a problem shouldn't do it hot or cold I agree good luck d rose

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
thats right call Honda or another dealer
it shoudl work Fine being new, maybe some hard shifts till it breaks in, but shoudl go in gear every gear all the time!
something is wrong , get it fixed before the warranty goes!

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
White Rancher (and everyone else with ES shifting difficulty): Welcome to the forum.
Here's the fix:
Remove the shift motor and gears (very simple to do).
Remove all the factory stiff, gummy grease that was put in the shift gears.
Now, replace all that grease with a liberal amount of ALL-temperature, White Lithium Grease.
Reassemble, and your shifting will be better. This works for all ES models except the Rincon.
----------------
I have notified Honda of this fix and the 2016 models will have White Lithium Grease in them.
Do not expect a dealer to fix this problem for you as Honda has not yet notified them.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Where is the shift motor on the at engine? Kentco you have an AT did it do similar things when new?
it should be at the front of the motor, front left side on the AT's I think ?.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was planning on buying a 2015 Rancher DCT w/IRS this week. I don't really want to fix a brand new machine. How could Honda say this is normal? Maybe I should be looking at the Rubicon with manual shift. :frown:

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Mack, Honda does not say it is normal. In fact, they were unaware of the problem as their dealers have not reported it to them. Absolutely do not let this little 'grease thing' sway your decision. Honda sells 8 times as many atv's with Electric Shift as with Foot Shift. If it was a 'common' problem, Honda would have been well aware of it by now. Remember, on the forum, as well as on the street, you only hear about the MINORITY who have problems. A good friend of mine owns the largest Honda dealership in Colorado and he has told me that they actually have MORE problems, PER units sold, with manual shift, than with electric shift. Honda also states the same statistics. There are some (people) who will argue this point, but, in most cases, they have never owned an electric shift. Fortunately, YES, I did have the problem with the ES on one of my atv's. I took it to the dealer three times for the problem, and each time, they sent me home; telling me nothing was wrong. I finally dug into the situation myself, and found the gummy, stiff grease that Honda had put into the shift motor gears. Once I, and very many people that I have shared this fix with, replaced that grease with White Lithium Grease, WE have had NO more problems.
Again, don't let this issue sway your decision. It is unlikely that you would ever experience the problem. But, if you do, it is easy to take care of.
-----
The shift motor and gears are on the lower front of your engine. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
thx for the info kentco soundls like the fix to my problem ... would you do it yourself with warranty still on the bike or just take it to the dealer i assume they will charge me for the fix im just scared to touch the thing since my oil plug wigg out lmao

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Tobbaco: Absolutely, I would do it myself. Since Honda has not yet issued a Service Bulletin to their dealers about this fix yet (I just notified Honda of the problem a few weeks ago), the dealers would just turn around and put the same heavy, gummy grease right back in. (Not what you want!) Go to the auto parts store and get just a pint, or even a tube of All-temperature White Lithium grease and you can easily do it yourself. You'll also need a 10mm metric wrench to get the bolts off of the shift motor. When you put them back on, be careful not to overtighten and strip the bolts.
If you have any question about taking the shift motor off, download a Service manual below and it will show you where it is and how to get it off. (It really is easy!)

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I would NOT recommend screwing with it wghile its under warranty
take it to a different dealer if the one you bought it from doesn't offer to solve the problem
if this was an older atv, I'd say sure do it yourself and save the money
but its NEW it shoudl shift gears issue free!

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
MRBB: Been there. Done that. Didn't work. No dealers are authorized to do anything outside of Hondas' specifications unless they have received a directive from Honda.
I spoke with Honda Powersports, in California, about 3 weeks ago. They were unaware of the problem until I brought it to their attention. Unfortunately, a Service Bulletin will not be issued until the resolution has been approved by their engineers. Nevertheless, this fix has worked for everyone that has experienced this problem, and, the fix can be done without any modification to the engine. It really is NO different than changing your own oil - which does not affect the warranty. In fact, a Honda dealer will ONLY put Honda oil in your engine. But, if you put another brand of oil in your engine or even a different weight of oil, it will not affect the warranty as long as it is oil which is designed for a wet clutch. The SAME thing goes for the grease in the shift motor gears..... If you wish to put a different brand or weight of grease in those gears, it will NOT affect your warranty - as long as there is grease in the gears.

·
Registered
33 Posts
good stuff guys keep up the great work here on this site i will have a look and see what it takes to remove the motor im sure its a no brainer ...cant see my dealer doing it for free just yet and it has not been a big isssue for me as of yet i can always get it to work with a bit of tinkering but its not right for sure thx again

1 - 20 of 35 Posts