Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 250ex
2002 250te

Are these jugs and pistons the same? Or compatible at least. I've reviewed them and they look identical, but just wanted to make sure there wasnt any funny business with the sleeve length or anything.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks, 2nd question.....

Anyone ever seen the middle part of the oil rings protrude beyond the piston as far as the oil rings stick out? Mine seems slightly too long as it doesn't wrap around tightly to the piston. Seems like it is stretched about one hump too long, but its not stretched at all. It has no way to compress in.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

Anyone ever seen the middle part of the oil rings protrude beyond the piston as far as the oil rings stick out? Mine seems slightly too long as it doesn't wrap around tightly to the piston. Seems like it is stretched about one hump too long, but its not stretched at all. It has no way to compress in.
A manufacturing error? I would take it back for a comparison to another ring

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts

Without either oil ring scraper rail fitted onto the expander (the expander is the wavy shaped component of the three-piece oil ring assembly) the expander will be a larger diameter than the piston. Start assembling the oil ring assembly with an empty piston (no other piston rings on it yet) by carefully putting the expander in place where it belongs, with the gap in the proper location.

Then open the top oil ring scraper just enough to slide it down from the crown (over the two empty compression ring lands) onto the upper edge of the slotted expander. You'll notice while looking at the expander closely, that there is just enough width clearance-cut from each expander edge for each rail to fit onto and into. When the upper rail is in place that expander will be compressed somewhat... but not entirely. The rail MUST go into the capture slot of the expander, not alongside it. Look at it closely to be sure that it is...

Then open the lower rail just enough to slide it up the piston skirt until it meets its expander groove/slot and let go of it.

At this point the expander gap should be where it belongs on the piston (gap is NOT on the thrust side of the piston and NOT near the rail gaps), the top rail scraper should be about 20 degrees or so from the wrist pin (opposite the thrust-side of the piston) and the lower rail scraper should be about 20 degrees from the opposite end of the wrist pin (opposite the thrust-side of the piston). In other words, each rail gap should be opposite the thrust side of the piston about 155-165 degrees apart.

The expander should now be compressed somewhat, so that at no point around its circumference is it higher than each oil rail scraper. Now when you put your ring compressor over the piston to install the piston in the cylinder bore, the oil ring assembly will compress as being one component...

If either of those scraper rails are installed alongside the expander, rather than inside the groove/slot that is cut in the expander for them... Your problem will remain unsolved. You can start over as often as it takes to get it assembled right... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts