Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a ttr 90 yamaha that ive got some questions about.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Whats the issue?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the post I put on thumpertalk.com...

I have a 2001 yamaha ttr 90 that recently stopped working. I believe it's the carb being gunked up but i'm not sure. I was riding in 3rd gear and it shutoff. While rolling, I downshifted into 2nd gear and it cranked back up. It cut off again a minute or two later but we couldn't start it back up. We replaced the spark plug and checked the air filter. The foamy part of the filter was dry rotted and mostly gone, and the metal part was very rusty. If I cleaned the carb and jets would it most likely solve the problem?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
It sounds like you may have ingested some foam or trash into your carb I would give it a good cleaning and a new air filter then see what you got.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I agree with TRX2five0

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea that was my thought. If anyone has one, or a yamaha bike of any size I'd love some instructions on how to dis and reassemble the carb, where it's at, and that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Aren't they all about the same? I mean, just follow the money....or in this case, the gas. There's a hose from the gas tank that likely leads directly to the carb....or through a filter that then leads to the carb.

Post a pic of the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
You should consider taking it to a shop. It is not the most difficult thing to do but it can get complicated...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well honestly the bike is a piece of $h!t. Taking it to a shop would cost about $150 bucks for new AF, gasline flushing, and carb cleaning. I have nothing to loose with this bike, it already doesn't crank, and the crank shaft is worn out inside of the casing, and it's very rusty. I'm just hoping to make it go for a few more years; if I'm lucky. :shocked:

Unfortunatly I can't post pics.

I have another question, everyone on here that knows the works of an engine, and atvs in general, I'm curious to know how you know these things. Have you studied it in college or did you just dive into an atv one day and start turning wrenches? I'm asking because I'd like to be able to fix my own things. Save a penny or two sometimes. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I learned by diving in, with a manual, and reading info on forums.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shade tree mechanics. Ha

I've got a 7.5 hp engine I got from a pressure washer that started leaking and lost pressure. Any ideas of what I can do with that? I've been looking for a cheap go kart frame to play with.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea I cant find any cheap ones close to home. I have a junkyard I want to check out though. I've got a question about my xy80 Honda bike. The crankshaft broke inside the bike but we used to be able to start it by pushing it down a hill. It recently stopped even doing that. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Probly wore out or broke something out. You can only abuse things for a while and it will die. Not being mean but it was not intended to be push started all the time and not designed to run with a broken crank.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea I understand. It's actually my cousins bike, it was given to him for free because the previous owners broke the crankshaft. Any clue how much it would cost to replace a crankshaft?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks... I've found a few good looking go cart frameson craigslist.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts