Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
States I've lived in calculated sales tax from the price listed on the bill of sale. A number that's easily fudged, if one were so inclined. Of course, I only seem to ever buy old stuff. Good luck getting published market pricing on a 25+ year old ATV or boat, for instance.

It used to be like that here as well, but a new state administration changed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,389 Posts
In ohio as long as the quad has never been titled in ohio before. You can give them a bill of sale from a no-title state. I generally use south carolina as my go to. They will then hand you an ohio title after you do an out of state inspection which is like 3 bucks and takes 5 minutes. They just walk out with you from the dmv and check the vin number and write it down and sign the paper. Have used the method for many quads when i was buying fixing and selling. General rule of thumb in my area is they sell for around 500 dollars to 1000 dollars more with a title. So it was always well worth the leg work.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
States I've lived in calculated sales tax from the price listed on the bill of sale. A number that's easily fudged, if one were so inclined. Of course, I only seem to ever buy old stuff. Good luck getting published market pricing on a 25+ year old ATV or boat, for instance.
PA used to be like this, what ever price you said on bill of sale, would be taxed, BUT since SO many folks would LIE< on the stated price, , the state felt it was getting screwed too often, and now if the sale price is LOW< they go by book value
so they get there share of taxes ?
God forbid they don't get every penny they can suck out of a sale, or just the fact every darn time these things ell they get taxed over and over, taxes like this suck!
just a over taxed society IMO we are any more!

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
honda value

hey; just look it up on line. put year, brand, model,value.. if i can do it, you should have no problem.:wink you may have to add a bit of the description, as i always leave parts out of what im saying..

·
Registered
5 Posts
...but I’m curious if it’s possible to get a title for it. I’ve been debating putting insurance on it for theft reasons because I plan to leave it at my hunting camp during hunting season but I’ve read that I need a title in order to get it insured.

Info, Thoughts?

Wayne
Maryland began titling off-road vehicles in 2010. In 2012 I purchased a 2004 Honda CRF150F (off-road MC) in Virginia from a dealership that didn't have its title. Perhaps that's not, or wasn't, an issue in Virginia.

Fortunately, someone knew a bit of the Honda's history, including the dealership of original sale. Unexpectedly but impressively, dealership #2 searched its records room at dealership #1's request, found the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, and provided it to me at no cost. Upon returning to Maryland, I titled the MC.

Purchasing another 2004 Honda CRF150F several months later, I learned, post-sale agreement, the Maryland seller, a low-volume vehicle sales and service operation, didn't have a 'clear' title as originally advertised. To his great credit, the seller acknowledged the error and, not wanting to re-advertise the MC, agreed to my suggestion of splitting the cost of a Mechanic's (or Artisan's) Lien on the Honda already in his possession. Ninety days later, the seller received a clear Maryland title which he then signed over to me. An expensive but effective process, I titled this MC as well.

A month ago, I relocated to North Carolina and re-titled several vehicles. The tag and title representative noted several more Maryland titles in my folder. Hearing those titles were for off-road vehicles, she noted North Carolina doesn't title them. So I have vehicles with NC titles, four off-road motorcycles with Maryland titles, and a 2013 Honda Recon with a Pennsylvania title.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
they get taxed over and over, taxes like this suck!
This is my problem. If sales tax was paid when the item was new, you can't tax it again!

In Arkansas farm equipment is exempt from sales tax, so luckily the one new bike I've bought was exempt since I use it working on the farm.

And Fish, I have USAA. Used to be an awesome company, but has gotten progressively worse over the years. They SAY I'm covered under homeowners, but I have a feeling if I ever try to file a claim I'll have to do a lot of fighting to get paid.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Jeep , I need to either get the name of your company for homeowners or move to Arkansas as my insurance told me the atv's are not covered unless I add a separate policy , we pay enough already $2,000 a year for homeowners and $500 for flood
I'm paying about 15-20% of my income for various insurance now. The sad thing is, I have liability only on the Jeeps, truck, and my Accord. Only the wife's Mazda has full coverage. Homeowners is a racket. I'm getting screwed there bad. Then health insurance added to it.

I do carry much more liability than the state minimum, but in today's litigious society, every time you leave the house you're at risk of a frivolous lawsuit, and given how far we've fallen as a society, you're likely to lose.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
This is my problem. If sales tax was paid when the item was new, you can't tax it again!

In Arkansas farm equipment is exempt from sales tax, so luckily the one new bike I've bought was exempt since I use it working on the farm.

And Fish, I have USAA. Used to be an awesome company, but has gotten progressively worse over the years. They SAY I'm covered under homeowners, but I have a feeling if I ever try to file a claim I'll have to do a lot of fighting to get paid.
many things can be bought and NOT taxed for a farmer, BUT the problem ends up when you LEAVE the farm with these items, unless using them on farms that are being farmed by OWNER of these items, it can end up causing issue's
so if an accident or?? ever happens, you end up maybe getting busted for the taxes,(or tax fraud pending how much of a ?? someone wants to push things) and or just other issue's
if your referring to USAA insurance covering things, thru home owners, again, IF on YOUR land that the policy covers, MAYBE< but if off property, I doubt the policy would cover anything
even here in PA< any ATV NOT used on your OWN property MUST legally be insured and registered, as as soon as you leave your property with it, even to ride on a friends private property, your breaking the law doing so
STUPID and all, but is what the world is today, all about the small details that can screw you is needed !

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts

many things can be bought and NOT taxed for a farmer, BUT the problem ends up when you LEAVE the farm with these items, unless using them on farms that are being farmed by OWNER of these items, it can end up causing issue's
so if an accident or?? ever happens, you end up maybe getting busted for the taxes,(or tax fraud pending how much of a ?? someone wants to push things) and or just other issue's
if your referring to USAA insurance covering things, thru home owners, again, IF on YOUR land that the policy covers, MAYBE< but if off property, I doubt the policy would cover anything
even here in PA< any ATV NOT used on your OWN property MUST legally be insured and registered, as as soon as you leave your property with it, even to ride on a friends private property, your breaking the law doing so
STUPID and all, but is what the world is today, all about the small details that can screw you is needed !
Eh, here in Arkansas we're still not regulated to that extent.

Honestly, I don't think people in the South would allow that much government overreach. Would probably start another war.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have bought many quads and dirt bikes from Wisconsin and Indiana that were not issued a title at time of sale. Not sure if it's different in those states now since I don't live there. Anyway, I take my bill of sale to the DMV and write 2 checks to the Illinois SOS totaling $55 and I get an Illinois title in the mail a few weeks later. Looks just like a passenger car/truck title with the VIN on it and printed on fancy watermarked paper. I've done it probably 10 times in the years I've been flipping quads.

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Depends on what state you are in. Most of the others on here live in states where titles are not required. Titles are required in Indiana, not having one will make your ATV difficult to sell. I had to pass on some out of state ATV's because they did not have a title.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here in Arizona a bill of sale was useless. Had to go to a third party DMV and pay them to send letters to anyone who ever registered it. In my case it was two. Wait for thirty days, and then pay an insurance company a bond (100$) and pay for tags liscence plate and then I could use it here...they also inspect the quad and run a vin check. All in all I think it was 200$ or so...
All for a 2004 Trx250te. Was absolutely worth it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well if we want to ride our trails/streets legally here with license plate and trail sticker, titles are required. It is a one time fee for as long as we own the ATV. What surprises me is they don't require insurance when they issue a plate or trail sticker. We are required to fill out a form stating our machines comply with "Street legal" requirements but they don't even ask for proof of insurance before handing over the plate, if you are purchasing a used machine you just show them a the title and a bill of sale, they take the title do the online registration and send it off to the state office. 6-8 weeks later a title with your name shows up in the mail. Now if you are just going to keep it on the farm then I guess there is no requirement of documents to use it there but it my be wise to have a bill of sale just for proof of ownership. We ride ours on the streets and trails so I just pay the $163 dollars and then I don't have to worry about cops or forest service hassle. If we do happen to purchase a machine with out a title we can use the bill of sale as proof of purchase and apply for a new title and have DMV fill out the proper paper work. I usually won't buy anything that doesn't have a title no matter how good a deal it is, I just don't want to go through all of that hassle.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Our state will do a title search for $2.
In Iowa the legal owner can apply for a duplicate Title, sure its $25 or so but I always wonder how someone can Really Lose a Title. Getting one otherwise is a pain in the rear for the new buyer.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts