Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Rancher 420 I bought a couple months ago the owner didn’t have a title. He said the guy he got it from never registered it which is why the original owner never got a title and interns the reason he didn’t have one.

I had a cop friend of mine run the vin and it was not reported stolen and he confirmed it was never registered. He couldn’t even tell me the original owners name. I did get a Signed & Notirized Bill Of Sale with all the info from the bike listed on it at the time of purchase though.

It’s not a huge concern if it’s not possible because it’s basically just a hunting camp bike but I’m curious if it’s possible to get a title for it. I’ve been debating putting insurance on it for theft reasons because I plan to leave it at my hunting camp during hunting season but I’ve read that I need a title in order to get it insured.

Info, Thoughts?

Wayne

·
Registered
356 Posts
The three I've bought didn't have a title, two from Mississippi and one in Arkansas. Checking the VIN to make sure it's not stolen, along with a bill of sale, is all you need. Arkansas doesn't require registration and I'm not sure if they'll even issue a title. I planned to check into that once I've completed the builds.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The three I've bought didn't have a title, two from Mississippi and one in Arkansas. Checking the VIN to make sure it's not stolen, along with a bill of sale, is all you need. Arkansas doesn't require registration and I'm not sure if they'll even issue a title. I planned to check into that once I've completed the builds.

Bingo. Bill of sale and VIN #’s are acceptable in LA as well. My bike was bought this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts

Bingo. Bill of sale and VIN #’s are acceptable in LA as well. My bike was bought this way

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Every ATV owner in Minnesota who bought theirs here has. New or used. No titles here. Some dealerships hand out token "ownership cards".

The DNR handles trail registrations though so most dealers do that from the start. Can be switched owners at any point in time though, and some people don't register theirs at all.

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
I think to get the title legally , you would need to find the original owner and do a double title transfer , from him to the guy you bought it from and then to you , also you would need to hope the original owner bought it in Louisiana and paid the taxes on it when he bought it , if he bought it in Mississippi for say and didn't pay Louisiana taxes , then the original owner would have to pay the taxes on the original sale price when it is transfered

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think to get the title legally , you would need to find the original owner and do a double title transfer , from him to the guy you bought it from and then to you , also you would need to hope the original owner bought it in Louisiana and paid the taxes on it when he bought it , if he bought it in Mississippi for say and didn't pay Louisiana taxes , then the original owner would have to pay the taxes on the original sale price when it is transfered

Fishfiles is correct. No need to go through the time and money it would take to get it titled when a bill of sale makes you legal

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts

Fishfiles is correct. No need to go through the time and money it would take to get it titled when a bill of sale makes you legal

Seadonist, are you also from Louisiana , I think that is the way it goes around here --------there is some type of vintage title process you can go thru with cars and motorcycles , where you pay a company to do the paper work for you , i don't know if it also could apply to an ATV and doubt it , cause most were never titled when new , I think it was around 2001 or so when they started titling every one of them here ----I think the way it went before that was you only got a title if you financed or payed to get the title , which no one seemed to do back then

·
Registered
80 Posts

Seadonist, are you also from Louisiana , I think that is the way it goes around here --------there is some type of vintage title process you can go thru with cars and motorcycles , where you pay a company to do the paper work for you , i don't know if it also could apply to an ATV and doubt it , cause most were never titled when new , I think it was around 2001 or so when they started titling every one of them here ----I think the way it went before that was you only got a title if you financed or payed to get the title , which no one seemed to do back then

New Orleans. What you described about sales taxes having to be paid retroactively from previous sales is correct. The state wants their cut every time a bike, boat, vehicle, trailer, RV, etc. is sold. I’m sure one could get permitted for state owned land trail rides with just a BOS as well, in LA at least

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
A new way they get their cut , when you sell something , you can't just say $100 cause it needed some repairs , they want the taxes on what it should be worth by year , so for you to sell something for less than blue book you need to pay a certified appraiser to access a valve to it and get a written assessment from him

·
Registered
80 Posts
A new way they get their cut , when you sell something , you can't just say $100 cause it needed some repairs , they want the taxes on what it should be worth by year , so for you to sell something for less than blue book you need to pay a certified appraiser to access a valve to it and get a written assessment from him

Of course...

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I called my insurance company and they said my homeowner's policy would cover my bike against theft.

I think the ONLY bike I have a title on is the wife's 420AT. All of the rest, including the one I bought new from the dealership either didn't come with a title or were never titled when bought new.

In Arkansas you are supposed to title them, so the state can ding you in property taxes every year. Since the king will not allow me to use his roads even after paying such tax, I refuse to pay the tax, and do not title anything that doesn't get a street legal license plate on it.

I would, however, run the VIN before you buy unless the original owner has paperwork.

Call an LEO buddy or try this to see if it's stolen.

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atvs-sale/107905-before-you-buy-atv-run-vin-number-free.html

Also need to check for liens on a bike. That can prove a bit trickier. Here in small town USA I can call my local DMV and if the bike has been titled they'll tell me whether or not it has a lien on it. If it hasn't been titled the original purchaser probably thinks like I do and didn't title it to begin with. If a lien was taken out on the bike then the lender would have required a title to be issued.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for all the comments fellas. I know I am 100% legally the owner of the bike. I was questioning about a title for insurance reasons. I contacted my insurance company after making this post to asked them about insuring the bike and also questioned them about insuring the bike without a title.

They replied

“It is possible to get insurance without a title; however, if the ATV should happen to be a "total loss", you would need to provide a title to State Farm in order for us to pay you.”

I then asked if I could do thief only. There reply was

“No, you can’t do thief only but you can do thief and liability”

Personally I’m only worried about thief, not that I think it’s gonna get stolen but having insurance on it would make me sleep a little better at night, knowing it is insured for when it’s at the deer lease for weeks/months at a time which happens to be 5hrs away so I can’t simply stop by and check on it often.

If it’s to much BS to get a title ima just say screw it. The entire reason I bought a used bike is because it will be left up at the lease during the season and didn’t want to have a brand new bike to worry about. So it’s no biggie if it’s to much BS.

Oh and I did ask if it was a agreed value or book value and they said book value. So depending on the book value of the bike would be another reason not to go through the BS of a title if it’s book value is much less than I paid. Where can I find the book value?

Is this new? I “know someone” that has bought and sold vehicles as donations and didn’t have to pay the taxes.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
I don't know too much about donations -------- I know at least 2 years or more on the true valve , since I was burned with that one ----------

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
Jeep , I need to either get the name of your company for homeowners or move to Arkansas as my insurance told me the atv's are not covered unless I add a separate policy , we pay enough already $2,000 a year for homeowners and $500 for flood

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for all the comments fellas. I know I am 100% legally the owner of the bike. I was questioning about a title for insurance reasons. I contacted my insurance company after making this post to asked them about insuring the bike and also questioned them about insuring the bike without a title.

They replied

“It is possible to get insurance without a title; however, if the ATV should happen to be a "total loss", you would need to provide a title to State Farm in order for us to pay you.”

I then asked if I could do thief only. There reply was

“No, you can’t do thief only but you can do thief and liability”

Personally I’m only worried about thief, not that I think it’s gonna get stolen but having insurance on it would make me sleep a little better at night, knowing it is insured for when it’s at the deer lease for weeks/months at a time which happens to be 5hrs away so I can’t simply stop by and check on it often.

If it’s to much BS to get a title ima just say screw it. The entire reason I bought a used bike is because it will be left up at the lease during the season and didn’t want to have a brand new bike to worry about. So it’s no biggie if it’s to much BS.

Oh and I did ask if it was a agreed value or book value and they said book value. So depending on the book value of the bike would be another reason not to go through the BS of a title if it’s book value is much less than I paid. Where can I find the book value?

Is this new? I “know someone” that has bought and sold vehicles as donations and didn’t have to pay the taxes.

Wayne

Each state is different in regards to the sales tax structure. In LA, we used to be able to “gift” these items (cars, boats, bikes, etc.) but now they tax you on the value of the machine.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I have bought a bunch of things over the yrs without a title, many times it was a blind gamble, and many times it was due to out of state or owner lost or never had the title
every state is different
if you can RUN the vin your ahead of the game before buying, but that doesn't always tell the whole story
every state has different rules
in PA< to get a title, you need a copy of bill of sale, from resident or non resident sale
then you can just request a PA title , and they will do a search on VIN and issue you one as long as vin is clean
LEGALLY, all ATV's in PA< must be registered and to register a ATV here it HAS to have a title
and to insure it here, they tend to require it to be registered
so ALMOST all things in PA< should have titles , anything that doesn't tends to set off red flags here to me!

things CAN be stolen and takes owners a bit to know(all the more so with many folks that keep atv's at hunting camps and vacation homes here and don't be at them all yr to report one stolen)
if you BUY it, and it ends up stolen here, your OUT of luck unless you can GET who ever you paid to pay you back(good luck with that too)
so again, just cause a cop runs the vin today< doesn't mean it cannot be reported stolen later on and you could end up in trouble or out $$$, or for sure here in PA

so, again EVERY state had different rules and regulations on titrles
best advice is check with YOUR local DMV< or DCNR or who ever handles ATV's in your state
better safe than sorry , and a few minutes of work on your part can save you a lot of $$$ if you end up screwed for not checking first before buying!

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
last year a friend got burned with sales taxes , he bought his son a Yamaha dirt bike in Mississippi and didn't pay La. sales tax on the sales cause he lives in La. , the next year his son wanted a new 4 wheeler , so he made a deal with Honda in Covington , La. and traded i the dirt bike , he said everything was about done and the salesman come back and said you have a problem , the taxes came up as not being paid at sale o0 the dirt bike in Mississippi , so they added that original tax money to his new note

·
Registered
356 Posts
States I've lived in calculated sales tax from the price listed on the bill of sale. A number that's easily fudged, if one were so inclined. Of course, I only seem to ever buy old stuff. Good luck getting published market pricing on a 25+ year old ATV or boat, for instance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts