Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The motors all torn down now, but there’s LOTS of metal shavings. And when I say LOTS I mean LOTS, I wanna rebuild it but I’m having trouble getting rid of them all, I’ve gotten rid of most of it but it seems like every time I wipe a towel on it I find more I havnt seen, is there any particular trick to getting rid of it all? I don’t have lots of money and I really don’t wanna leave anything and have it ruined, is it expensive to have them brought to a machine shop to be “acid dipped”? If that’s even the right procedure? Any tips or tricks or even general knowledge on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Plus- these forums here are not worth their salt anymore
Better off coming over to atvhonda.com , good, quick help there and free service manual downloads too
Come on over, you will not regret it

·
Premium Member
5,128 Posts
What’s wearing that much?
If a magnet doesn’t pick them up then they could be shavings from the head, the clutches or cam chain tensioner.
If a magnet can pick them up maybe cam or rockers.
Better post pix

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I was in your position I would proceed like this..
Parts brush,
then solvent wash, blowing out any orfices,
then wash down/ wipe down.
You could make a simple probe type electromagnet too. That way when the power is on, you attract the shavings and most will fall off when powered off.
Good luck with your project.
Good question in a previous post.. WHY is there so many shavings?
Do consider talking to the folks at atvhonda.com. Many experienced wrenches over there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The motors all torn down now, but there’s LOTS of metal shavings. And when I say LOTS I mean LOTS, I wanna rebuild it but I’m having trouble getting rid of them all, I’ve gotten rid of most of it but it seems like every time I wipe a towel on it I find more I havnt seen, is there any particular trick to getting rid of it all? I don’t have lots of money and I really don’t wanna leave anything and have it ruined, is it expensive to have them brought to a machine shop to be “acid dipped”? If that’s even the right procedure? Any tips or tricks or even general knowledge on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dustin, because you already have the engine completely torn down you can use a water hose or even small power washer. with shavings of that magnitude then you will want to replace all bearings anyways. when done washing. you can coat everything in WD-40 for now.. to stop rust from starting anywhere. as you rebuild, use a shop rag, and paint thinner to clean mating surfaces for the gaskets. starting fluid works too but will spray other parts you want to stay oiled. do not forget to get either "engine build lube" or you can use chainsaw bar oil on the parts that cannot start dry, like crank bearings and cam rollers, oil and timing chain. its sticky and will allow a smooth first start. hope this helps. I am about to start rebuilding the 3rd honda engine in a few days. if you need any other advice feel free to call me at -865-292-7665. I'll help you any way I can . I am the creator of East TN ATV Riders. you can look it up on FB. Have a great Thanksgiving!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts