Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this question will stir up sheet as always. Changing/renewing the oil in the front and back differentials on a 16 FA7 Forman. Type of oil states Hypoid gear oil SAE #80. I’ve worked on and around machinery for 20 + years never heard of Hypoid, and can I use synthetic oil substitute? Please chime in Thanks

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Yup that's right, hypoid 80, I'd think synthetic would be fine, i did mine not too long ago, I'm die hard honda, lol so of corse i went with hondaline hypoid 80, i have heard of other members going with synthetic due to living and riding is sub zero temps, synthetic wont thicken as bad as none synthetic , or so I've heard, maybe some one else will chime in, would mind knowing more about this myself.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yep you need Hypoid gear oil in the differentials. It's necessary because there are actual Hypoid gears inside and the shearing on the surfaces of the Hypoid gears requires special oil. Some bottles won't say "Hypoid" on them, so look for API GL-4 or GL-5. Either rating is Hypoid approved and proven to work well in atv diffs. This is my oil of choice because it specs well and the price is right: https://www.walmart.com/ip/16795248

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I agree, Hypoid gears are a special gear
but in all honestly, honda's ain;t going fast enough to make much heat in there diff's, unless you have NO oil in them LOL
I been running AMsoil, syn gear oil in mine and feel more than protected
the bigger issue I think is keeping water out, and GOOD fresh oil in them
any GOOD brand Gear oil, should be good here? My 2 cents!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
mrbb, brings up an excellent point, keep it clean/fresh. For myself, I rarely put more than 20 hours per year on my unit, but I change all fluids annually because I really want to see what it looks like in those differentials.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.