Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
i wonder where moose got the idea of using easy off oven cleaner ????hmmmmmmmm..oh..i know..i mentioned it a few months back !..lmfao. nice job bro !..looking good. there is only one thing i like about polaris..they got a very good frame system....they are tough..other than that...they are a pain to work on !..lol.
To me, all brands are harder to work on than a Honda. Hondas are the easiest to work on, in my opinion. Unless it's one of the auto models. LOL.
yeah..i agree 100%..honda's are very very simple to work on..i hardley ever have trouble bringing a honda back to life !..polaris..eeekkkk..my skin craws when i hear that brand name !..lol.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
nice work!!

with the incorrect oil to gas ratio, not enough oil to be specific, think it would more so effect the crank bearings or rings?? if it still turns over freely could that rule out bearings??

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Sweet, I knew how the pre-mix lubricated the top end, but not about the crank, pretty cool...

Looking forward to more pics. :)
Click on the link below for an animation of how a 2-stroke engine works. The animation shows a poppet valve engine and some engines use rotary valves and some use reeds, but they all work basically the same way. Also, some are piston port engines like Moose mentioned. The animation will give you a generally idea, anyway.

Animated Engines, Two Stroke
Awesome website, thanks for the link!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
nice work!!

with the incorrect oil to gas ratio, not enough oil to be specific, think it would more so effect the crank bearings or rings?? if it still turns over freely could that rule out bearings??
Actually this whole issue came about when this quad was rear ended and it bent the muffler mounts forward a little causing the head pipe to cock around on the donut gasket making it leak a little and when he hist a water hole it was sucked into the head via the exhaust leak. well the cold water hitting the hot piston caused a bad reaction..lol

Shade I knew about the oven cleaner I'm old too..lol I had actually forgotten about it. We used to clean the anodized paint off of our brake calipers when I used to ride BMX..lol

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
nice work!!

Actually this whole issue came about when this quad was rear ended and it bent the muffler mounts forward a little causing the head pipe to cock around on the donut gasket making it leak a little and when he hist a water hole it was sucked into the head via the exhaust leak. well the cold water hitting the hot piston caused a bad reaction..lol

Shade I knew about the oven cleaner I'm old too..lol I had actually forgotten about it. We used to clean the anodized paint off of our brake calipers when I used to ride BMX..lol
lol..all good bro....at least everyone else knows now what to clean an engine with !..lol. i've got a '86 trx350 fourtrax hitting my house tomorrow sometime..my next project..lol...i'll be using the oven cleaner on it !..lmfao.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
LOL I love the stuff and the cheap kind works better IMO guess it still has all the bad stuff in it...LMAO

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
LOL I love the stuff and the cheap kind works better IMO guess it still has all the bad stuff in it...LMAO
i know it can take your breath away !..lol..taking dirt and grime off is not a problem !..lmfao.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
haha, i was actually asking cause ive ran into this issue myself and was wondering what i was looking for, not enough oil in the gas, what issues it would cause.

but, keep a good exhaust gasket on at all times, gotcha!!

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
haha, i was actually asking cause ive ran into this issue myself and was wondering what i was looking for, not enough oil in the gas, what issues it would cause.

but, keep a good exhaust gasket on at all times, gotcha!!
And not bent up! lol

·
Registered
328 Posts
Cool! I've never worked on a two stroke atv before, totally different world than I'm used to with 4 strokes. I always wondered how a 2 stoke oiled the cylinder wall, thinking the air fuel mix came in through the intake valve like a 4. While cleaning the carb on a junk leaf blower I looked through the intake and saw it sucks it the a/f/o mix under the piston, past the ring(s) (don't know how many it has?). That just blew my mind, lol. I've been trying to learn some more about them, maybe I can get my hands on one next year to learn...
Feel free to come and work on the S.O.A.B. that I'm working on at the moment, a 350 2-stroker with a knackered water pump, it's a very tight machine to work on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For your info, there are two compressions on a 2-stroke single cylinder, as well as your combustion chamber compression, the crank case also must retain airtightness so as the piston comes down on the power stroke so it compresses the fuel mix until the inlet port is exsposed, the fuel mix is blown under pressure into the cylinder , driving out the exhaust gas's. The fuel mix won't blow back into the carb because the piston skirt close's , on it's downward stroke, the inlet from the carb. Depending on the fitment, the carb can be mounted on the cylinder or on the crankcase. When crankcase mounted, the inlet passage from the carb is sealed on crankcase compression by reed valves. On large Diesel engines the air is compressed by turbochargers and scavenge pumps ( A large supercharger) not into the crank case but into scavenge spaces along the side of the engine and exhausts through a single exhaust valve on top of the head. these engines are can be very big ,developing 7,500 HP per cylinder and up to 14 cylinders. Check them out on u-tube under 'large ship engines'

·
Registered
328 Posts
nice work!!

I think you'ed find more damage on the thrust side of the piston and cylinder wall, with the bearings seldom affected, with difficult starting and fuel escaping through the mouth of the carb ( Crankcase compression escaping because of the damaged piston).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
nice work!!

I think you'ed find more damage on the thrust side of the piston and cylinder wall, with the bearings seldom affected, with difficult starting and fuel escaping through the mouth of the carb ( Crankcase compression escaping because of the damaged piston).
that seems like how it acts. thanks. sleeve and rings for replacing?

·
Registered
328 Posts
nice work!!

that seems like how it acts. thanks. sleeve and rings for replacing?
Is the sleeve scored in any way? you might have some pick up from the piston stuck to the sleeve but this can usually scrapped off (depending on how long it was run on wrong fuel /oil mix). Is the piston damaged? If it is, a new piston assy. is required (complete with rings and gudgeon pin) also measure the piston diameter against the original spec. To evaluate sleeve wear take a ring of the piston and fit it into the very top of the sleeve ,measure the gap, move the ring down to the firing area at the top of the stroke, measure the gap, and finally repeat at the bottom of the stroke, any difference in the gap would suggest that the sleeve is past it's prime. Is the quad a premix or autolube?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
gracious.

primix, i wasent measuring it out in a cup, just guessing on the oil amout (learned my lesson on that one) fubared a dirt bike and a chiansaw. they were both ran to they seemed like they lost compession and died.

i have not tore into either one yet, i have no experice with 2 stokes or even knew how they worked till i saw that picture diagram somewhere on here. think ill tear into the chainsaw first, its a cheap one anyways. ha.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
7 Participants
blowfishRus6
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing