Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 honda foreman 450es,

would shift sometimes with electronic shift, mostly up sometimes down, could down shift with manual handle.
thought shift motor sounded weak, so I replaced it with new one, now it wont shift at all with electric shift buttons,
any ideas what to look for.??

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
you must pre-load the angle sensor, or change it, if its bad ?. most times..the angle sensor is junk, worst thing Honda ever did was invent the electric shift atv..pure junk in my book.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
and try cleaning out the factory grease in the electric shift gear area, then put some fresh grease back in there..NOT THE MOTOR..THE TRANSFER GEARS !!!.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
also..make sure your battery is 100% charged and in good shape ?, they won't shift worth a crap on a weak battery.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did clean out the old grease and put some white lithium grease in there. The battery is good and charged.
I put old parts back on and now it seems to be shifting better. Ran about 15 minutes and no issues.
Tested new on on bench with 12v to it and it spun so not sure why it didnt work in the atv.
Going to test or try some more things tomorrow. maybe put new on back on.
friend said to relieve some tension with the adjuster on the front of engine off clutch

How do I pre load sensor, I seen where I might have had to do this but most posts were rubicons.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
I did clean out the old grease and put some white lithium grease in there. The battery is good and charged.
I put old parts back on and now it seems to be shifting better. Ran about 15 minutes and no issues.
Tested new on on bench with 12v to it and it spun so not sure why it didnt work in the atv.
Going to test or try some more things tomorrow. maybe put new on back on.
friend said to relieve some tension with the adjuster on the front of engine off clutch

How do I pre load sensor, I seen where I might have had to do this but most posts were rubicons.
don't mess with your clutch !..this has nothing to do with why it wont shift !. best way to pre-load the sensor is to make sure its in neutral, line the sensor up on the shaft, spin it a tad until the tabs line up, bolt it up. check all your fuses as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
rode atv tonight with old shift motor on it seems to be running fine. Only rode about 15 minutes again.
Didnt get chance to change to put new one back on.
I am curious why it didnt work at all

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
rode atv tonight with old shift motor on it seems to be running fine. Only rode about 15 minutes again.
Didnt get chance to change to put new one back on.
I am curious why it didnt work at all
was new motor from ebay, china knock-off ?, or oem from Honda ??.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts