Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a newly acquired 2017 Honda Rancher 4x4. I think I love this thing more than my future unborn child. Got it with only 217 miles.

Changed the oil immediately to Amsoil ATV 10W-40/new oil filter. No problem
Went on my first trail ride for 4 hours straight, 30 miles, no problems.

And here’s the stupid part. Watched horror videos on YouTube I randomly came across about guys destroying their engine from putting the oil filter in backwards.

I’m 99.99999% sure I installed it correctly. Yes, I can take the filter cover off and check. But have no extra oil on hand at the moment to top back off.

But my real question is, after 4 straight hours of riding, would I absolutely know at that point if I installed the oil filter backwards?

I’m not looking for reassurance. I’m just more curious at this point. Common sense tells me my top end would’ve fried at some point during my ride from lack of oil flow.

I’m no mechanic though, so please humor me. But go easy, I’m fragile. Lol!

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Got a newly acquired 2017 Honda Rancher 4x4. I think I love this thing more than my future unborn child. Got it with only 217 miles.

Changed the oil immediately to Amsoil ATV 10W-40/new oil filter. No problem
Went on my first trail ride for 4 hours straight, 30 miles, no problems.

And here’s the stupid part. Watched horror videos on YouTube I randomly came across about guys destroying their engine from putting the oil filter in backwards.

I’m 99.99999% sure I installed it correctly. Yes, I can take the filter cover off and check. But have no extra oil on hand at the moment to top back off.

But my real question is, after 4 straight hours of riding, would I absolutely know at that point if I installed the oil filter backwards?

I’m not looking for reassurance. I’m just more curious at this point. Common sense tells me my top end would’ve fried at some point during my ride from lack of oil flow.

I’m no mechanic though, so please humor me. But go easy, I’m fragile. Lol!
if you had installed the oil filter backwards ?, you would not have made it `10 min's into the ride !..lmao.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts