Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, gpt a question for ya. We have a cabin that needs roofing and are going to go with metal. Had a few bids but they differ in the installation. One will put down felt over the old shingles, nail down 1x4 strips and install the tin on top. They say this is for air flow? The other guy says he will lay felt over the shingles and just screw down the tin on top, no 1x4’s. Everyone I ask has an opinion and I’ve heard of doing it both ways, what do y’all think?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
What kind of shape is the old shingle roof? If not smooth the metal will buckle, and look like crap. Also the metal has ridges for airflow, so it dosen't need to be installed on top of lath wood. And the ridge cap is where the air will go. Also with the lath wood, you would have to be careful when ever walking on the roof, and only step where the wood is. Installing metal roofing is pretty easy to do it yourself. Years ago I did roofing for years and transferred over to commercial roofing. I'd recommend tearing off the shingles, and then apply 30# felt as a vapor barrier. Then run your metal roof system.

It can be run over the shingles. Just the installers have to be careful, and not over torque the screws if they hit where a shingle is buckled.

Sent from my front porch using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
^^^
Absolooley I would remove the old shingles–you want a roof that lies flat. Yes I would use 1x2 for lath over the vapor barrier–use wood screws to get them into the trusses and then shorter screws for the metal roof.

I’m not a licensed roofer tho

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I tend to agree I would pull shingles and do the felt but I would also add a ice/water shield, if your in any place that gets much snow or lots of rain!
it just helps seal things better.

one other thing to consider maybe is insulation in your roof attic< do you have any?
as if not going to metal roofing will be a LOT louder on the inside of cabin when it rains and such!
, if not I would add some to anything with a metal roof on it! the more the better
in a cabin, maybe not as bad as in a home, you spend more time in
but something to think about!

also, if your in a snow belt, make sure you get them snow guards/stops and add them so your not getting run down on heavy snow loads going in or out of cabin!

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I thought your name sounded familiar.. i never did find out what happened to the cow, with the bad eye,,..
Granted, i am not a roofer, but have seen some of this done. i would strip the roof. run the felt. put the horizontal wood strips across, then put on the other barrier, i think vapor, then the tin, or whatever.
metal is the way to go...
Me and Dave, did my roof, on the shed. it wernt quite right. bad instruction's.. nuff said...
run 2x4s across,on top of the plywood, then the vapor barrier, and the metal.
was over 8 yrs ago. it still dont leak, knock on wood, but i would do it different now..

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I run 2x4s across,on top of the plywood, then the vapor barrier, and the metal.

was over 8 yrs ago.
What was the purpose of the 2x4's? Plywood to thin to hold the metal roof screws? Makes since if most newer stuff is 1/2" plywood. My roof is sheeted with 1x10's. If stripping roof with 1x2's or 2x4's I'd have to fill in the blank space with either hardboard or dense foam insulation. I know I've seen several metal roofs installed on house trailers without using extra wood. Seams like maybe an unnecessary expense, but idk. When I was a residential roofer we never install metal, just shingles slate and wood shakes. I did install metal on my garage a couple years back, because it has a 2/12 pitch was cheaper than using rubber, & looks better imo.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have aluminum shingles stripped bare then tar paper back in 95, thehouse was built back in 1885 os so we figure and the roof is 1-1/2 thick rough cut boards.

Depending on snowfall and pitch of your roof I would strip it and strapp it

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
@M Quick ; What was the purpose of the 2x4's? Plywood to thin to hold the metal roof screws?
there wernt no purpose, to speak of. i had guidance from a friend, who usually knows what he is talking about..
now if i were to do it. it would be different. and i would do way more research. the plywood was 5/8s..
i still dont have leak's. i attribute it to luck... :wink

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys, thanks for all the replies. Seems everyone I talk to has a different opinion. Finally talked to a guy that I trust and he told me that it will work either way. As long as the screws catch into the decking it will be fine. Ridgcap annd ridges in the metal are enough for ventilation. Ive seen the guys work and he’s done work for many people in our church that were pleased. As far as the cow LeFTed, vet finally came and took her eye out and it looked really good. But she proceeded to rub it and pull out all the stitches! She eventually got down and I had to shoot her, but that happens sometimes. Thanks again for all the replies.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
^^^ sorry to hear about the cow..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts