Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with All Ball Wheel Bearings?

My Honda 300 seemed to have play in both front wheels. So i picked up a front wheel bearing ( allball ) against my brother inlaws advice! He said I should stick with Honda. ( I prolly should have! )

Anyway I pulled the bearing out and installed the new one. I reassembled everything, and checked the wheel. There is still a little play in the wheel! Less than before, but still some play. As far as I know with a new bearing it should be tight!!! So is this brand NO good, or could something else on the front end cause this movement???

My brother in law said it's the brand, and there tolerances aren't the best. I dunno........

I've talked to a few people and they said they were good.....

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have used all balls many times and have had no problems with them. Seemed to hold up good for me and I wheel alot. I have a set in my 06 500 foreman that have been in there for a couple of years now and they are still good. As for honda parts, they are hard to beat if you can afford to use them, but some other brands tend to do well also and are a lot cheaper. A set of Honda front brakes are about $45 bucks and I have used several $25 sets that have lasted and performed just as well. Check your a-arm bushings. Mine were worn and I thought it was my bearings until I pulled the wheel and looked a little closer.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If it's a 4wd, make sure the bearing is a tight fit in the knuckle as they're a press fit. If it's a 2wd, make sure the bearings fit tight in the hub.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the bearing spun freely in the knuckle. My 300 is a 4x4. I used a 32mm socket to remove and reinstall it into the knuckle. It was snug and seated properly.

I'll go over all the bushings. The bike is a 94' so it's hard to say if they have ever been changed. There seems to be a little play in the cv shaft as well. So this tells me the joint is shot. Would I feel that in the wheel?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
There seems to be a little play in the cv shaft as well. So this tells me the joint is shot. Would I feel that in the wheel?
No, not if the CV joint is bad. The only thing that would cause slack at the bearing is if the bearing fit loose in the knuckle or the axle shaft itself is worn where it comes through the bearing or if you have a bad bearing or if the axle nut is not tightened down good.

Also, the balljoints could be worn and it might seem like it's in the bearing area, but the whole knuckle would be moving when you wiggle the tire. If you can see that the knuckle isn't moving when wiggling the tire, then it wouldn't be the balljoints.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had to replaced the whole knuckle on my 99 300 4x4 because the hole was worn. The whole knuckle with bearings and seals was 100 bucks so it wasnt too bad. I have done every bearing in my bike with all balls. Only one complaint... swing arm bearings. The inside hole is slightly too big. My pin wasnt worn but i did build it up with a weld then turned it back down on the lathe to fit. Same problem when i did my buddies 450 es swing arm.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I used allballs on my Z400, no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right on. Good to know. I actually just ordered another bearing to replace the other front. I also purchased 2 new axles and 4 ball joints. Once I get it all together I'll post back and let you know if the "minimal" play is gone.

·
Registered
104 Posts
sounds like a balljoint on that side. like helmut said, if the knuckle moves with the tire, then it is the balljoint. a good tip-off to let you know if your knuckle is bad, check to see if the top cap is still in place. alot of times once they have worn beyond spec or have had their day the top cap will have come off and has let dirt/debris get into the unit. just a suggestion. all balls wheel bearings have always been fine with my 300. in fact many would say that they are better than the oem bearings intalled on your bike. i believe the oem's do not have a seal embedded into the bearing.... if i am wrong helmut will correct me:)

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
sounds like a balljoint on that side. like helmut said, if the knuckle moves with the tire, then it is the balljoint. a good tip-off to let you know if your knuckle is bad, check to see if the top cap is still in place. alot of times once they have worn beyond spec or have had their day the top cap will have come off and has let dirt/debris get into the unit. just a suggestion. all balls wheel bearings have always been fine with my 300. in fact many would say that they are better than the oem bearings intalled on your bike. i believe the oem's do not have a seal embedded into the bearing.... if i am wrong helmut will correct me:)
i'll answer it for ya..nopeeeee..oem does not have seals in thier bearings !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts