Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 08 Honda rancher FM. I'm am looking at aftermarket CV axles, can someone tell me why they can be used on left or right when the OEM ones have different part numbers and alitte bit different in prices. Thanks for any info

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
measure you old ones, see if they are both the same length ?.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
Ok, I'll have to take them out and measure them before ordering anything to be sure
seems to be the easy answer huh ?..lol. better to check now ?, then buy later, and they be wrong ?..lol.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
MY guess is your OEM one's WILL measure differently
BUT maybe some aftermarket company's, don;'t care and will use same one on both sides and one side will be a little short and one a little long, they made a more ONE size fits all deal
I know the front axles on my 400 foreman are for sure different lengths

think of it as when you LIFT a atv and you alter angles of drive shafts, axles and such, there is normally a little GIVE on things to still be OK to go, but NOT the way Honda wanted it

so your call?
you can also try checking part numbers on HIGH end replacement axles, as I would thing they would also, run more true to OEM lengths, knowing more folks use them on lifted things, where being short can be a bigger issue!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info that makes sense, I now see that Dennis Kirk and Rocky mountain ATV both have ones for the left and right, the ones I was looking at before were on eBay, I don't really trust the eBay ones thanks again

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
Thanks for the info that makes sense, I now see that Dennis Kirk and Rocky mountain ATV both have ones for the left and right, the ones I was looking at before were on eBay, I don't really trust the eBay ones thanks again
the reason you see them listed right and left on rmatv is because they are listing and selling oem honda axles, that's why :).

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Billy: Welcome, I might be wrong but Shadetree isn't there a company called Gorilla axles that makes axles for the Rancher and other Atvs? I heard there almost bomb proof on Ranchers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see the OEM ones and they also have 2 different aftermarket ones, one which is out of stock

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
Billy: Welcome, I might be wrong but Shadetree isn't there a company called Gorilla axles that makes axles for the Rancher and other Atvs? I heard there almost bomb proof on Ranchers.
your not wrong, there are a few company's that make after market axles ?, but that was not my point. my point is, he said he seen rmatv list them as left and right ?, which means, rmatv, as I said, sells oem Honda axles, from Honda !. they list them on their fich pages :).

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I went with this companys axles
http://www.atv.interparts.com/

when I needed to replace mine, well actually I needed to replace torn boots, but figured I just do axles, as they were many yrs old and seen a lot of hard work
They were on EBay for a super deal so I figured I would give them a try, they sold be a pair CHEAP, they CLAIMED stronger than OEM
I used a MIC when I got them and measured all things, splines and all, and they were 100% on spec with the old honda's(had a slight bit more on splines which to me was a good thing LOL
But the main shaft was a littyl;e thicker too, which I gather is where they back up there LIGHTLY stronger than stock axles comes from, little beefier shaft on them!

rubber in boots seemed to be better too, more give,. but mine were again 12+ yrs old so??

the ONLY issue I had with them was the one snap ring they included on one axle was over sized, so I just re used the old OEM on that axle

been a few yrs and a LOT of plowing snow and hard work and there working just fine, for a OEM like replacement, NOT a hard core BIG tire axle, I think there a good deal for the money!
got the two front axles for about a 100 bucks less than OEM one's from Honda at the time??

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
your not wrong, there are a few company's that make after market axles ?, but that was not my point. my point is, he said he seen rmatv list them as left and right ?, which means, rmatv, as I said, sells oem Honda axles, from Honda !. they list them on their fich pages :).
Gorilla is the only company I heard making axles. Lol my bad if I said something wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
jdp
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing