Honda ATV Forum banner

Adding Brake light to Recon

13K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  goldfishcb 
#1 ·
Hey guys haven't been here in a while. Just picked up a nice little 01 Recon for my kids. I want to add a brake light, I've searched and found a few people talking about adding the switch but nothing really helpful, even youtube has nothing! Anyway if anyone has a link or has done this and could let me know that would be great. Sorry about the double post somehow I posted it in the polls forum.

#4 ·
I was....... Going to do that same mod, but went with a brake banjo switch in the brake hydraulic t-fitting, the light works only with the front hydraulic brakes, i also have a link to that second honda Stanley light assembly.
A brake light is a good idea! Mines saved my tail a few times. I agree with retro, n fish, you'll need to mod this up, fish i believe it's a 01.

Attachments

#5 ·
I was....... Going to do that same mod, but went with a brake banjo switch in the brake hydraulic t-fitting, the light works only with the front hydraulic brakes, i also have a link to that second honda Stanley light assembly.

A brake light is a good idea! Mines saved my tail a few times. I agree with retro, n fish, you'll need to mod this up, fish i believe it's a 01.

That looks like the factory Honda tail light for the 300. I know a guy that has the kit new, still in the box ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
Yep, mac it's the Stanley made for the 300 among other models? (I couldn't advise which) i believe it would fit most older modles trx 250 trx 350 forsure the 300 fourtrax

Fish i had the lights on plus a bungie cord around the front brake handle (just for a pic) the brake light is live wired all the time with an inline fuse. The bulb is from superbrightled s , they advised go with a red led in stead of white, just need that brake peddle and left handlebar brake switch to hook it to brake light (i don't use brakes much) haha!

Here's the same housing setup, but the mounts deferent, i couldn't advised which honda this one fits, seller is asking quiet a bit more for this one, then i got mine for

https://www.ebay.com/itm/91-98-Honda-Secondary-Brake-Light-TRX300-TRX250-33810-HC4-830/172250606539

Here's mine zip tied on......(can't locate those clamping brackets) mac..... Is you friend wanting to sell his ?

Attachments

#11 ·
#16 ·
Thanks for pics!

You can buy a used OEM Honda master cylinder assembly taken from a 03 & up Rincon, 04-07 400AT Rancher, 05-11 500 Foreman, etc, as those master cylinders have two switches mounted that activate each time you apply the front brakes. You can use either one of those switches for a brake light. I put one on my 2000 Rancher from an early Rincon (was a cheap upgrade, including the short harness!), so I could add MelATV's and Jeepwm69's Start-in-any-gear mod. Check out powersportsnation.com (best option) or the fLeebay auction site for deals on those larger master upgrades.

#23 ·
I finally added mine - Here is a copy of what I put on another thread in case anyone finds this and wants to install it for themselves -

I finally got around to installing a brake lamp on my 01 Rancher 350 FE ES.

Here are some pics. The most important part was the brake lever switch which is (Part # 35340-HR0-305) I installed the lamp on the rear flip down storage door. You'll also need a screw to mount the switch. (Part # 93893-04020-07) The screw will be a little long, but cut it back with a hack saw if you need to. This switch mounts on the bottom of the hydraulic lever, or the top of the non hydraulic lever. If you mount it on the non hydraulic lever, youll need another part. It's a square block looking washer that places the switch at the right height. Honda calls it a collar. ( Part # 35345-HF1-830)

I didn't use a relay. Just an inline fuse holder and the switch with some 18ga wire. No need for a relay on such a low current application in my opinion. It's wired as switched hot.

Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.