Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little back story:
Last winter I picked up a 1996 trx300fw in what I thought was good condition. Turned out I ended up doing a major overhaul to get it going, including piston, rings, cam chain, etc.... At the time of reassembly I set the "T" and got the two dash lines on the cam sprocket close to level on the head and went with it. This machine always seemed somewhat low on power to me for a 300. Fast forward to a few weeks ago: My buddy wanted to get one of these and we found him a nice 1991 model. I was blown away at how much more power his has (all stock) and feels like a 500 compared to mine. At the time of purchase I mentioned how much more power this one had over mine and the guy selling it mentioned to check my timing (he has bought/repaired and sold many 300's he told us).

I decided to first check everything with a timing light and tach as it states in the manual, and compare to my buddy's machine. at the 1450rpm idle I was slightly off of the "F" and at 4500rpm my two vertical "advance" lines were not even close, just barely starting to come into the inspection hole! As I figured...I checked all the same parameters on the 1991 and everything was spot on, lining up with the pointer. I then decided to pull my valve cover and investigate the possibility of being off a tooth, and noticed that when I'm on "T" my lines on the cam sprocket are not level on the head; one side is high and one is low. After fooling with this thing for a while and moving the sprocket a tooth each way, the lines still will not level on the head. I'm wondering if the sprocket on the crank got moved out of place?? I know they're pressed on, but I have no idea what the previous owner of my 1996 did because the engine was jacked up when I got it.

Any ideas on this one??

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
lower crank sprocket is NOT pressed on !, its made onto the crank. you may or may not find help here ?, all us old timers moved over to our new home --> www.atvhonda.com .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts