Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
i'm new to atvs and want a 4x4 honda. i just started shopping around. i want to do some work around camp in VT and also some trail riding. i'm 50ish and 250 lbs. i hear that hondas are pretty reliable. i have about $3000 to spend.
reading the forums, i see alot of shifting problems with the rancher, is this a real issue with this model? the rancher is on my short list, but i sure am open to suggestions!
Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
90 Posts
man i love my rancher the only thing is dont get the AT (automatic trans) or the ES (electric shift trans) if you get the foot shift you want go wrong!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! agreed get the foot shift model if you buy a Honda, i have a 700 Grizzly its full auto put in gear and go and it has the most confortable ride you can get and have not had a problem with it with 1800 miles since i bought it, but don't get me wrong i love my Honda too but its a race quad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies!
all the ranchers i've seen so far have had elect shift...
i saw one foreman that is a 5 speed manual. i'm in no big hurry.
thanks again! gary

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know that the new ranchers have the manual trans but I'm sure that everyone is getting them that why you havent seen them.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Foreman or Rancher either one would be a good choice. I like the foot shift, also, because they are more reliable. I don't really have anything against the electric shift, except it's eventually going to mess up. You won't have that problem with foot shift.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The Ranchers are a little smaller and a little more nimble....they are also a bit more advanced i.e. more complicated, because they are liquid cooled and fuel injected. The Foreman is bigger, more basic, comes with a pull starter standard and carbuerator, and air cooled. A work horse.

They are both nice machines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ummm....

I dont mean to dampen anything here but i had a honda 400 2006, and the tranny almost wrecked. it was tough tho. but i got a 09 polaris sportsman 550xp now and wouldnt proly go back to honda. i love my sportsman. but the grizz 700fi with eps is nice. we had auto with esp mode swich on the honda. We had problems with the honda co. big story, some of it is written on the polaris atv forum.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
It is rare for a Honda Tranny to go out unless there is a lack of maintainance. Why come on a Honda Forum and knock Honda and try to push Polaris. Polaris' are a big pile of repair bills.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Agree^^^^!Polaris is crap man.Nothin but problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Honda is the official tow vehicle of Polaris:icon_ goofy:
I have a Rancher and love it, I don't think you will go wrong with the Rancher or Foreman.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Just like they said no electric shift.Only manual just less to go wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Ya sry, still like my polaris tho. And i havent had a lick of problems. i dont mean to nock honda down. just telling my thoughts. thats what a forum is for - thoughts. -Do you know forshure you are going to make the pearly gates?-

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Personally I like the old Sportsman500. I had one years ago. Never had any problems with it. I sold it because I wanted a sport quad and did not want to ride it as much when I bought my Sport quad. I will never dog a Honda auto clutch but everyone I know with a electric shift or autotrans has had some issue with thier shift motor or angle sensor etc etc. I would never buy one myself with that type of tranny.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts