Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to put a Warn VRX 2500 on a 2019 Honda Rancher 420.

There is one video online but it's a 2017 Rancher and it looks totally different than mine and the mounting bracket (Warn) is also totallly different.

First no instructions. The winch booklet is just cryptic. The bracket came with no hardware and no instructions. I called and they sent those but the instructions just say go online and Warn has a very dark (no lighting) video that is also cryptic.

I also got the $5.95 accessory Honda wiring. Also cryptic. But once I get the winch mounted I ought to be able to figure that out.

From their diagrams, but following advice here, I have to turn the winch around to get a straight run of the cable to the rollers from the top. The bottom which they show would kink the cable quite a bit. That is how the 2017 Rancher video shows it.

I have found another 2019 winch install on a Rancher which helped a little bit more.

One showed the solenoid assembly mounted on the frame member just to the left drivers side of the front. I say drivers side and passenger side if the vehicle was a passenger vehicle as left and right always raises the question looking to the atv or as riding the atv?

Any advice and tips would be appreciated. Thanks

I still have no idea how the wiring is going to go, only that I will have to switch the wires to make in out and out in.
dc

·
Registered
267 Posts
Always reference from sitting in the seat. Did you order the specific mount for your Rancher, or are we talking the generic mount that comes with the winch? My Rubicon winch mounted upside down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's the model specific, 2019 Rancher 420. The winch booklet shows a bracket (mtg) but ... 'sold separately'.

I did see a 2019 Rancher 420 video with the KFI winch & mount. That added another piece or two. But I still have a long way to go.

I'm now trying to figure if I should mount the winch and bracket or take all all front plastic and rack. If I later need to do that the winch and bracket may then have to come off to do it.

That's my next issue, I guess.
dc

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Sofar as wiring goes, you’ll have three harnesses
The contactor is a relay which should be protected; i put mine in my toolbox. You can put it on the frame but be very careful if the hot terminals rub through and ground out you could
have a fire.
The large red/black cabling goes from the battery to the large contactor terminals.
The smaller cabling goes from the winch to the contactor
The controller has three wires two go to the contactor and control in and out; the red wire powers the energizing of the contactor and is best connected to your accessory power

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Goober, that is definitely a concern of mine.

However, Warn provides wires which are about 4' and 6 feet long. The distance from the winch to the battery is about 6 1/2 feet, as the wire runs on the frame (it seems.)

So if I mount the contactor in the tool box one pair of wires would be short and one would be feet too long.

When I was living in Los Angeles that wouldn't be a problem as there were electronic shops around and I had an electronic genius with tools for a neighbor. So new wire would have been easy.

Here I don't even know or a shop around here with the same (size) wire and the tool and tabs to crimp onto it.

I may have to go that was, and just find a shop than can make some right size wires for me.

I guess I'll have to do that anyway, as the other wires are also way too long and the connectors don't match.
dc

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Another episode in the continuing saga of trying to install the winch.

Having ciphered out the issues at least of the winch mount I tried to mount the winch. I found that the winch cannot be on the Warn bracket until the bracket is installed. Then, because the Warn uses the holes in the top of the frame for mounting, unlike the KFI which uses the side holes, along with the mount of the bumper bolts, that the mount had to be mounted before the winch was placed into the mount.

Then I found some difficulty in getting the bolts to insert upright, which they must to to clear the bumper bolts coming in from the side. Then I found it to be impossible to get a socket on the bolt head of the plate mounting bolts facing upward.

So I determined that was why Rocky Mountain atv mc had sent me a mount that had been returned to them from a previous buyer. Mainly it looked like it wouldn't work and I'd need to get the KFI bracket.

But watching the official Warn video, the one of low quality, I see he mounts the bracket loose, puts in the winch and tightens all down by placing a long 12 mm box end wrench from the other side onto the bolt head. I should go back and do a loose mount to see if indeed that would work to tighten the mount bolts down after the winch is in place. But, since my longest 12 mm is 5" and it would take one more than 5 1/4" to reach across the bracket, I ordered one online. One which is 7 5/8" long which ought to be long enough to reach across and hold the bolt head while tightening the nut above.

So, which I get the wrench I'll see if it works, or I do have to return the mounting bracket..

I have found a store with no. 6 and 8 wire, so if the wires won't reach to the tool box I can make some longer ones.

Also putting the contactor/controller in the back tool box means the switch wire has to go all the way back there. I don't know if that's long enough. I may just mount the switch near the back of the seat somewhere, anyway.

It's nice that I have all winter to do this as it looks like it may take all winter.
dc

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, today I got out to try again to mount the Warn winch on the Warn mounting bracket, using a long box/open end to come across the winch to hold the bolts going up on the end of the frame into the Warn mount.

It won't work. I got the winch in, the bumper back one, and all bolts lined up, but there isn't any room to put the wrench in and across to the bolts.

So it all came off and I'll send the bracket back and get or try the KFI.

I notice a video where they put a Warn winch on a 2016 Rancher, but it's obvious that it's a different bracket. He calls it a Honda/Warn winch. So it looks like Warn sells a different bracket for the Honda sold Honda/Warn winch and their own bracket.

But I think also there may be some differences in the 2017 and the 2019. Unless that lousy video is just phony and he really doesn't tighten those mounting bolts down like that.
dc

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, time for another episode in the continuing winter long saga of putting a winch (Warn) on the 2019 Rancher 420.

I got the KFI bracket. Rocky Mountain ATV MC still hasn't given me a refund on the Warn bracket. I talked to them 3 times and they keep asking me for the hardware, which, 3x I told them I returned it with the bracket, which I did.

I'll see what they say tomorrow.

After about 6 or 8 tries, I lost count, I got the KFI bracket on and bolted down. I had to take off some of the black plastic grill below the headlights but then half put it back in before I put the bumper on, with the bracket and winch bolted onto the bumper.

To get it all together I had to squeeze the winch down somewhat smaller, so I hope it still runs that way. Without the squeezing down it would not all have fit into the limited space there.

I have two bags of the Honda snap tabs, those usually break after one use. Fortunately I have quite a few of them, as several broke taking off the front plastic.

I still have to figure out what to cur the plastic with on the brush guard. That has to be cut around the winch, it won't squeeze any smaller to get around that.

I don't know what to use to cut it. Maybe a Dremel or an angle grinder. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

Then it's trying to run the wires. I think I will follow the advice here and elsewhere and mount the controller in the back. I'll have to get some wire tabs and cut the wire as the wire is too long to go one foot to the battery from the back, it's 4 feet long.

The controller wire may be too short. I'll see.

I do not like the way the switch is meant to mount on a double bracket on the handle bars. Maybe I can mount it downward, instead of upward, or even use a different switch, maybe mounted onto the plastic somewhere. That can go last.

I didn't like some of the hardware that came with the winch so yesterday I was out shopping for nuts and bolts that I liked.

Today was a nice sunny day of low 40s. But now we are going to be under 32 degrees for at least a week. Someone said it will start getting nicer on February 15.

We have passed the shortest day, so now the days are getting longer. And I'm starting to think of summer weather on the trails, or maybe motorcycle riding. I think I will devote most all weekends to trail riding, tho'. That's what I got at atv for.

But it's a long way off. Last year I didn't get to the top of the mountains til late May or June,

I haven't even started on the motorcycle forks. But there's still time yet.
dc

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it turns out that the Honda snap tabs I have are 10 mm and they fit the car, the Honda car, but the atv uses 8 mm so I had to order some. Partzilla had them for $.45 each, but I found some aftermarket on Amazon for 40 for $5.95 so I ordered those.

I have both after market and official Honda on the 10 mm size and found they are the same. And when they come in a pack of 10 or 40 if they are bad or defective or break, one can just replace them.
dc

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I had ordered and rec'vd the %5.95 accessory connector but it's not the right one. It's a two pronged connector and my 2019 Rancher 420 has a 4 pin connector near the radiator. I'm looking around on the internet and cannot find a 4 pronged HOnda connector.

Any ideas?

Also do I only need one wire to 12v for the switch? The diagrams show a remote connector wired in to the circuit which I won't have. So I'm assuming that I need a ground going to the switch connectors on the controller.
dc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts