Honda ATV Forum banner

381 - 394 of 394 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
not what you are looking for, mounting, but has plenty of room for toggle switches. that switch, cost near $6.oo to $9.oo, in the old day's. on/off. just barely 37 years old. i think it was,STSP, switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,286 Posts
I bought a quality toggle switch yesterday , one with brass in'nars , got it from NAPA and got ripped off as usual , $11.00 , some change and tax , them cheap toggles from AutoZone don't last

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have tried to PM you but it wont let me. I am trying to gather parts to do this swap and I'm having issues understanding the front crankcase cover swap. What else do I need to do to the engine. Do i need the final drive or is it already there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I have a 350 rancher es that I just picked up. I'm going to go through it and get it going again. It's kind of like your story with the Creamsicle. The bikes in great shape and I only paid 250 for it. It has set for a couple years because they just bought a newer atv and a sxs. The story is that the batter would drain down all the time. Even with a new one. Just guessing its probably the winch that's on it. Shouldn't be much of an issue. But I ran across your post and got inspired. I would love to make it a 4wd. Just have to figure out all the pieces. I havent done much with wheelers. But I'm pretty handy. More like a jack of all trades. Master of few. Lol. I went back over your posts and a few others then I went back over the parts diagrams. I see now there are 4 different crankcase covers. Without looking at my rancher yet i just didnt know if the output shaft for the front diff was already in there and just have to put the cover on from a 4wd and then the driveshaft hooks up or if there was another piece I needed to add with the front cover. No mind you i just started looking into all of this so i get a lil jumpy and it takes me a while to work it all out in my head and go through everything. I work on a towboat so I'm gone 4 weeks at a time. So I spend a lot of time researching before I do anything and I like to try to cover all of the bases. But I do it without being able to put my hands on what I'm working on. Lol. Like I said I jump the gun sometimes. Any help would be appreciated though. Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
12,286 Posts
Redneck , I have a buddy that convert his 350 from 2wd to 4wd , I don't remeber all the details , a parts bike is what you really need or you could collect all the parts separately , PSN.com is a good source for pieces ------ whe you do it , a WideOpen/Warn 4x2 kickout would be a good thing to throw in there

·
Registered
6 Posts
@fishfiles Appreciate the info. I am planning on doing the 400at swap while I'm at it so I can have selectable 4wd. I would also like to do the Gizmo deal that @retro designed so it will last a long time. That will be tricky though. I know plenty about wiring but nothing about circuit boards or whatever else is in that box. Lol. I have a couple places lined up with parts for the bike. Just trying to get my list together for them to get prices so I can find the best deals. Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in SE Arkansas. But from what I gather the 450 has different gearing so I'll pass but thanks anyway. Unless I'm missing something.

·
Premium Member
12,286 Posts
I don't know about the gearing on a 400 , I know they do share some parts , seems I have read where someone put a electric diff off a 450 in a 400 , but I got that dare CRS , especially if it doesn't directly effect me ----- I am running a 400 head on my 450 LOL ---more compression from a smaller combustion chamber

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
I agree with fishfiles, easiest & cheapest for your 2wd conversion might be a 350 or 400 Rancher 4x4 parts machine. You'll need knuckles, brakes and hubs to go with the 400AT diff and driveshaft. Plus you'll need the case cover and output shaft for a 4WD 350 motor conversion and other bits and pieces. You could also swap on 420 Rancher knuckles/hubs/calipers and get OEM disc brakes... there are a gazillion ways to skin a cat.

·
Premium Member
12,286 Posts
Redneck , you should start a thread on converting a 350 to 4wd , I think you may get some more info on it , my buddy that done the swop will be by my house today , I will try to quiz him , I know he done it with a donor bike and it wasn't that much a job as he did it in a weekend

381 - 394 of 394 Posts
About this Discussion
393 Replies
29 Participants
Redneck83
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing