Honda ATV Forum banner

361 - 380 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Looks like you're enjoying this project!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Wow that display turned out to be a super clean look!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yup, having gazillions of hours of fun @creed82! Honda ATVs are nothing more than adult versions of a Tinker Toy set, after all... an' some kids never grow out of them! :)
I've noticed the same with my Pioneer 500. Guys spend more money customizing them than they do purchasing them.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
I'm not a big spender anymore creed82, I'm a miserly old busted up tinker'er. I get what you're sayin' tho... Been there 'n done all that and had a lot of fun, made great memories... made many lifelong friends that I miss like hell hanging with too, but nowadays got more time, more patience and more entertaining ideas than I got cash. I've learned how to smile a lot and celebrate more often as I've aged... the few lil' bits that I can still do well, to help mitigate the realities of that other void. :)

Poor, proud 'n happy under a floppy old hat be's the tinkers' damn!

·
Premium Member
12,367 Posts
when you are younger you have a lot of time but no patience and time moves slow , then when you learn patience , you are older and your time is short and moves fast ------- when you are young you work for retirement , but when you get there your body doesn't do the things it could when you were younger , that you want to do when you retire ------ rolling stones gathers no moss

·
Premium Member
12,367 Posts
I looked back on you link of the install and seen the pic of your winch and controller mounted on your handle bars , very clean , don't know how I missed that pic before = Gizmo Man

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Ya, it turned out pretty well. The gizmo covers up the handlebar clamp holding the winch rocker which makes it look pretty clean on there. Let me know where/how you want your gizmo mounted as soon as ya can...? I'm itchin' to get started on making another one soon as it threatens to rain for three days in a row again... :)

I'll gut my OEM temp sensor that was just divorced from my bike, so just need to know what sort of mounting bracket to make. Also maybe decide where ya want to mount the PS/relays box in case we gotta downsize or do something else...?

We are gonna run two hots (rather than grounds like these 1st two were wired) from the relays to fan motors & one manual switch right?

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
If I remember right fishfiles, you and I bought the same waterproof winch rocker switch from amazon... 'bout $19 I think? I used the bracket and clamp that came with that switch to mount it below the bar. If I remember right I flipped the rubber boot over (so 'OUT' and 'IN' read right side up) when I took my switch apart to seal it up with RTV, which allowed me to mount the switch upside down.

·
Premium Member
12,367 Posts
WOW , I would like it mounted just like yours , I just went and looked at it , took a flash pic and it didn't come out too good , my winch switch would have to be moved from the top to the bottom and the mirror moved , minor things ,I take the mirror off it need be no pain no gain --- thanks so much Retro !!!!

I think it would really help me , being my fans are over-ridden , I am constantly checking the toggles and feeling for the air blowing , cause I can't hear them with the sounds jamming

·
Premium Member
12,367 Posts
If I remember right fishfiles, you and I bought the same waterproof winch rocker switch from amazon... 'bout $19 I think? I used the bracket and clamp that came with that switch to mount it below the bar. If I remember right I flipped the rubber boot over (so 'OUT' and 'IN' read right side up) when I took my switch apart to seal it up with RTV, which allowed me to mount the switch upside down.
I know exactly what you are talking about by flipping the mount and switch , I done that before ---- funny you brought that up as one of those switches is on my list for the Blue 300 , finally getting around to mounting the winch plate , being it is a 92 makes it kind of rare of a plate

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
Cool, I got a pattern for a plug n' play handlebar mount then! Do ya think that relay box will bolt up under your winch plate? Or should I find a smaller/different box?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
I’ll have to see if i can mount my winch button thataway. I flipped it over a couple of times to try and get it the way i like. On top it was getting hit by branches in the bottom it was hard to reach

·
Premium Member
12,367 Posts
I’ll have to see if i can mount my winch button thataway. I flipped it over a couple of times to try and get it the way i like. On top it was getting hit by branches in the bottom it was hard to reach

So , which way it " thataway " , how's yours mounted now , got a pic ?

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
@fishfiles - Your 450 has the choke cable in the way of a flipped over winch switch mount I think? That bugger takes up all of the space below the bar... I'll look at it some more maybe we can figure something out.

A slightly different mount shape might work though... we might be able to put the gizmo below the winch switch...? It looks like there is enough space between the choke cable and the winch switch for the gizmo. It would hide those clamp bolts but don't know how far away from the bar it would end up being, once it was angled up toward your eyes while sitting on the bike.

I can send ya an enclosure that I ruined while dremeling out holes, maybe that would help us get it just right. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
The relays box can mount anywhere that is out of sight and not interfering with other stuff. Its submersible, and made of fairly strong ABS plastic about .090" thick. Overall it measures about 5 1/8" long x 2 9/16" wide x 1 9/16" thick.

The control enclosure for the office measures:
69.5mm x 50.5mm x 21mm (2.736” x 1.988” x .827”)
We might be able to find a smaller relays box if we can get by with just one automotive relay mounted inside that box. If we need two (we probably do since you have two fans to control?) we'd need to keep this same size box.

I have all sorts of extruded aluminum shapes to make brackets from... I'm a hoarder... so if we need to mount the relays box on aluminum 1st, then mount that assembly to the frame somewhere that should be doable.

I may build another control unit for @wheelsquad too, once I get eyeballs on his bike, cause I'm a bit concerned that our clamp mount idea won't be strong enough.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,367 Posts
lets keep it simple and smaller , I am just worried about the cooler fan , so one relay will be fine , I will keep the engine fan on the toggle switch and only use that one when on dry lland or after parking and shutting the engine down , I wouldn't want the fan under the tank to come on when the atv is submerged in water ------- as far as mounting it some where , I think I can come up with something , maybe the under side of that winch plate

361 - 380 of 394 Posts