Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently undertook a project to get this four wheeler back in working condition. Finally got it going after replacing the carb and many other things.

Took it for its first outing last night. I turned on head lights and after about 2 seconds the whole system shut down. No lights on ignition or anything. This was a new battery and fully charged. This is all after the electric start and battery seemed to be working properly.

Was able to jump start it to get it back to garage.

Any ideas where to start? No electrical work has been done yet so about to embark on this new journey.

Please be specific as possible as I'm not too mechanically inclined.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
You have one of the best quads ever made—be careful about messing with stuff until you review the owner and service manual.
you might’ve blown a fuse
download the service manual and check out my parts Links in my signature block below.

You probably bought a lousy aftermarket carb, tYou still have the OEM carb?—don’t lose it, rebuild it!

Never ever buy aftermarket parts—only OEM.
If you’re not mechanically inclined, you should consider taking it to the shop for repair. Specify OEM only and you want all your old parts back.
Even an old switch will have a screw, connector or housing piece that might be useful in the future—even selling on fleabay

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
??Yep there are two main fuzes back by the battery. They’re in little black pods. Mice love it back there. So if you find a burnt fuze, replace and try to reset everything back to where it was when you started.
Then see if you got some wires hanging loose—especially under the fenders where the lights hook up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently undertook a project to get this four wheeler back in working condition. Finally got it going after replacing the carb and many other things.

Took it for its first outing last night. I turned on head lights and after about 2 seconds the whole system shut down. No lights on ignition or anything. This was a new battery and fully charged. This is all after the electric start and battery seemed to be working properly.

Was able to jump start it to get it back to garage.

Any ideas where to start? No electrical work has been done yet so about to embark on this new journey.

Please be specific as possible as I'm not too mechanically inclined.
If it was running fine but died right after you turned the headlights on, there's probably a short in the lighting circuit that popped one of the fuses. If the electric starter won't work because of a blown fuse, dead battery, or bad battery cable connection, you should still be able to start the engine with the kick starter, because the magneto generates the electricity needed for the spark ignition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced both fuses with the spares that were in the black pods. Made sure the battery was 100% charged. Turn the key and nothing lights up or starts.

Checked the lights and it is possible that the lights and wires need replacing. But would this still be keeping the system from turning on now that i replaced the fuses?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Replaced both fuses with the spares that were in the black pods. Made sure the battery was 100% charged. Turn the key and nothing lights up or starts.

Checked the lights and it is possible that the lights and wires need replacing. But would this still be keeping the system from turning on now that i replaced the fuses?
Were the fuses blown? If so, there’s a short.
If you know for sure the battery is good but you get nothing when you turn the key on, there is no power getting to the key switch. Either the cable connections at the battery are dirty or loose, or there is bad connection somewhere between the battery and the switch. Use a meter and check for voltage at the battery, at the solenoid, at both sides of both fuses...I’ve seen the wire terminals at the fuse holders corrode and break, corrosion inside the round terminals that slip over the ends of the fuses, bad connections inside the molex connectors, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts