Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your recommendations of where to buy a replacement carb? OEM or Aftermarket? If aftermarket who sells good quality stuff? thanks guys

·
Registered
212 Posts
Afterwhaaaaaat?

Seriously though go with an OEM carb whether it's a full replacement or just repair the one you have. A rebuild kit is pennies compared to buying a whole new carb and the aftermarkets aren't worth your time. I use the Moose Racing rebuild kits and they're good quality.

·
Super Moderator
38,157 Posts
agreed with deep ^^^^^^. do not waste your cash on any aftermarket carb !!!. it's a hit or miss with china knock-offs !!.

·
Registered
500 Posts
...mostly miss.

The company I worked for in the automotive industry had engineers work with Chinese manufacturers to copy the the 1bbl Ford 300ci carb for a specific industry that was still using them. After buying thousands, they found out the hard way that, while they looked identical in nature, Chinese quality was not on par with oem standards. When it comes to intricate and electronic parts, pass on the Chinese options.

As suggested above, buy the moose rebuild kit for 20 bucks and take an hour or two of your time and rebuild your oem one.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I have had great luck with aftermarket carbs for the 300's , bought about 6 300 carbs over the years with no problems and have bought carbs for all kinds of other engines with no problems , $250 for an OEM and $100 for after market ------------ I just got one for my 16 Briggs on the tractor , $46 compared to $250 and it works fine , just a kit was $25 compared to $46 for the whole updraft carb ------- I did have trouble once with a carb for the 87 250 , that carb has rubber on the needle valve tip and was sticking closed if you let the bike sit for more than a week , and it worked out in the end as I was able to use a needle out an old carb and fixed that problem

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
We have a contract to buy parts from Central Florida Yamaha in Lake Placid FL. I think they also supply parts to partzilla. Yes you can buy good oem parts 863-465-6669

Oh yeah i have also purchased from honda of toledo

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I hear you chick , I have a fleet of 300's and have never bought a new $250 OEM carb and never will and I have never had to open up a after market carb for any reason yet , $50 -$80 for an after market ---------------- but I am more into fuel maintenance second only to rear end oil condition , I do only run non-ethanol gasoline , with Stabilizer in every batch , every couple of tanks I hit them with Sea Foam , all have an extra fuel filter , I fill the tanks to the top all the time so it doesn't condensate and most important is they get run and don't sit up for a month or longer ---------- one thing on "some" cheap carbs I have noticed over the years , not just Honda but on all different kinds of engines is , the "cheap , low quality" metal is more susceptible to deterioration , pitting , flaking off quicker when water and ethanol fuel is left in it for extended periods

·
Registered
1994 Honda Fourtrax
33 Posts
Say what you want. I used this carburetor sold by Caltric, and my 4 wheeler cranked up immediately, and I have never had to make an adjustment. I understand that some of the different year models have required some carburetor modification. On my 98 TRX300FW, it was a total bolt on.

Carburetor Fits Honda 300 TRX300FW Fourtrax 1988 2000 New Carb | eBay
I purchased the same one and the arc ran fine till about 3 days ago. My son tried riding it and it kept spitting and sputtering when he hit the accelerator. it sits out in the open and I worried water leaks in the tank.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having an issue with my 94 trx300fw at the moment. Opted for a Caltric carb for it and it ran fine for a few months. Suddenly, about a week ago, it started running rough when accelerating. I've tried cleaning the carb, adjusting the float to lower fuel level, dropping the main jet needle to the leanest setting, but it is running rich turning my new spark plug black. Gonna try one more thing, the spring for the choke valve seems weak and may not be seating the valve causing a rich condition, but it looks like I'll be ordering a rebuild kit for the original carb...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
38,157 Posts
Having an issue with my 94 trx300fw at the moment. Opted for a Caltric carb for it and it ran fine for a few months. Suddenly, about a week ago, it started running rough when accelerating. I've tried cleaning the carb, adjusting the float to lower fuel level, dropping the main jet needle to the leanest setting, but it is running rich turning my new spark plug black. Gonna try one more thing, the spring for the choke valve seems weak and may not be seating the valve causing a rich condition, but it looks like I'll be ordering a rebuild kit for the original carb...

should have rebuilt the oem carb to start with, that caltric carb is china !. use a shindy rebuild carb kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I compared the Caltric carb to the original. They are quite a bit different, but the Caltric does try to meter and hook up the same. One big difference is the addition of a bowl vent on the right ride of the carb. I just blocked it off since there was already one on the left that hooks up like the original. Only other actual carb adjustment (besides the idle mixture) is the 5 grooves on the main jet needle. One would think anyways... I actually gave a little tension to the spring on top of the main jet needle assembly. This helped more than anything. My trx300fw runs quite well from low to high rpms now. Maybe the spring from the original carb would have worked ok instead of lightly stretching the other, but I can't complain about how it now runs. Just my recent meddling...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts