Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 Fourtrax is cutting out when you crack into the throttle. I took it to Jackson Honda/Suzuki shop in SE Ohio and had them install a brand new OEM Carb and it is still doing it. So now it is at River Front Honda in Gallipolis, Ohio and their service dept. has installed new carb kit and its idles fine, but it still wants to bog down or cut out. I asked them if the valves may need adjusted and they told me that would be the next step. Any ideas? I have seen many topics on this.

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
First keep your old carb; worth more than new if you rebuild it. If you replace the CDI and still doing it, at least you have a spare CDI. Will the battery pass a load test?

download the service manual from the link in my signature block below.

we don’t know the condition of your quad. Rebuild the carb; check. Change the spark plug. Set the valves. after all that, Clean the fuel tank and petcock.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
If it bogs, your jet is probably too small, which means the motor is not getting enough fuel. You could also try a needle adjustment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it bogs, your jet is probably too small, which means the motor is not getting enough fuel. You could also try a needle adjustment.
The Honda Shop called me and told me that the current timing chain is slapping. Would this cause the bike to bog out like this? Also, the carb that was installed is a brand new OEM Honda carb not a a knock off, would the jet still need replaced?

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Yes worn timing chain will cause poor performance. Download the service manual from the link in my signature block below. These are described.

if OEM carb installed the don’t be concerned with jets. These carbs very hard to find new, BTW. Def keep your old carb and practice rebuilding it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes worn timing chain will cause poor performance. Download the service manual from the link in my signature block below. These are described.

if OEM carb installed the don’t be concerned with jets. These carbs very hard to find new, BTW. Def keep your old carb and practice rebuilding it
Thank you and I appreciate your input and advice.

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Good thing you took it to someone who knows what they’re doing. Let us know how it goes. I suspect this is a $600-$800 job. Hopefully no valves bent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts