Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys now I am at a lost, so finally registered and posting.

I picked up my 98 Honda Fourtrax 300 the last semester of college(about 1 1/2) years ago. It ran good, tire would lose air slowly, and the kick start wouldn't work all the time (kept slipping).

Anyways when I went to do the maintenance on it; oil change, gear oil change, new spark plug...he spark plug was fused in bc it hadn't been changed in so long. I should have ran it for a bit then tried to remove it, but didn't think of that (and I honestly didn't think I was torquing it that hard) and sheared it off. After drilling it out and trying to use an easy-out I had to get it milled out and re threaded by a mechanist. It only cost my $40 bucks so not bad...but of course taking the engine apart I broke some screws and other stuff. One was the starter motor, I got the parts and rebuilt it so it now works after figuring out that there was a short in it. Had two new keys made since I lost the original while moving from Texas to Louisiana. Then let her sit in the garage while starting my new job and just being lazy and not getting around to it.

Well I got back to it a month ago and seemed to have everything working electrical wise today and I though mechanical (beside the kickstart never looked into that, but when I turn the starter motor it does turn..but won't crank. I took the small cover off and it spins the reduction gears but doesn't seem to be getting to the starter driven gear or clutch.

For a bit more information, the kickstart won't catch until like the 5/6th time of slowly pushing it down until it does then I can do one good compression kick that turns the motor over. I think this is from the reverse barring( Could that be the cause of both, or two different things to fix?)

What do you think is the cause(if only 1)? How can I check without completely tearing the crankcase cover and pulling it all out?
My goal is to get it running with the electrical motor, then go back in and fix the kickstarter and eventually replace the majority of the old bolts(I bought a complete replacement kit for it.

Any input will help, I tried to search as I had on all my other problems, but it is hard to pick which thread out of 100 that don't have any informative title names would have the info I need in it.

Thanks,
Seth

Attachments

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yes there is a one way bearing for the starter motor and kick start which you will have to replace and if I remember right you can use the cluctch bearing in the kick start if you turn it around and vise versa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would that mean both of mine are bad on both sides? Or, just the one-way bearing on the kickstart side and possibly something else on my starter motor side.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yes both of your bearings are bad or your starter motor could be hooked up the wrong way or it could be hooked up right and still be spinning the wrong way which I have had that happen to me on an old Yamaha

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
But it is very unlikely the starter motor is spinning the wrong way I would replace the bearing first

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
So your starter is spinning but not catching?

Did you lose the shim that goes in front of the reduction gears? that could cause your starter to not engage to turn the engine over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So your starter is spinning but not catching?

Did you lose the shim that goes in front of the reduction gears? that could cause your starter to not engage to turn the engine over.
what do you exactly mean by that?
are you talking about the hex socket on the shaft

1 - 7 of 7 Posts