Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was out plowing yesterday on my all stock 98 foreman 450 ES and at times there was no sound coming form the exhaust, very weird, the machine would just get quiet, the engine was still running then all of a sudden you could hear the exhaust again. At one point there was a whistling like sound coming from the exhaust. There was no pattern, it happened while plowing, while just driving, also a couple backfires from muffles while decelerating. any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
crank it up, put your hand near the end of the muffler, is it exhausting ?, or stopped up ?.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Mouse nest in it would be my guess. Or the packing is blowing out and covering it sometimes. My .02

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mouse nest in it would be my guess. Or the packing is blowing out and covering it sometimes. My .02
Or, someone has been mischievous and stuffed something in there.
Never rule out the human factor.:shocked:

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
that would be one bad azz mouse to chew through the spark arrester to get inside the muffler !..lol.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Or, someone has been mischievous and stuffed something in there.
Never rule out the human factor.:shocked:

Yeah i keep people out of my garage and i have one of those remove before flight fmf plugs in my pipe at all times when its being stored. Cuts way down on the shenanigans. Evil shenanigans! LoL

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
that would be one bad azz mouse to chew through the spark arrester to get inside the muffler !..lol.
Now i didnt even think about that. Do all stock pipes have a spark arrestor screen? Or are some just so restrictive and massive there is no need for one? I havent ever owned a spark arrestor for anything because i always have aftermarket pipes.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Now i didnt even think about that. Do all stock pipes have a spark arrestor screen? Or are some just so restrictive and massive there is no need for one? I havent ever owned a spark arrestor for anything because i always have aftermarket pipes.
most utility models, or shall I say, most all oem mufflers from Honda have a spark arrester in the mufflers, it's a factory safety issue, the fed's won't let them sell them without them ?. and they are pretty tough when new. over time they rust/carbon out ?, but still..they are pretty tough for a mouse to chew through !..lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 86 model muffler has a removable spark arrestor and the owners manual says to remove it and clean it sometimes. I can see couple screws that hold it in the muffler.

Back pressure to the engine is not a good thing. I would shut er down until you find out why. If not a removable spark arrestor issue I would removed the muffler , something probably rattling around inside.

Like shadetree says, hold your hand over it and listen, make sure it's not earwax rattling around in your head and clogging your ear canals.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
My 86 model muffler has a removable spark arrestor and the owners manual says to remove it and clean it sometimes. I can see couple screws that hold it in the muffler.

Back pressure to the engine is not a good thing. I would shut er down until you find out why. If not a removable spark arrestor issue I would removed the muffler , something probably rattling around inside.
no spark arrester on your model/year/make is removable !, the metal tang on the bottom held on with two bolts is the only thing that comes off ?, then all you get to do is cover the end, run it to blow carbon out, that's it !. you can't remove the end of the muffler on these, least not from what I've seen on them ?.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah there doesn't seem to be a way to just remove the spark arrestor. I did start it up and it is exhausting but its currently sounds good. I will run it longer later once I have more time

It wasn't ear wax LOL, neighbor said the same thing when we was plowing his driveway.

·
Registered
160 Posts
yeah there doesn't seem to be a way to just remove the spark arrestor. I did start it up and it is exhausting but its currently sounds good. I will run it longer later once I have more time

It wasn't ear wax LOL, neighbor said the same thing when we was plowing his driveway.
Neighbor suspected earwax also, you say!

Get a second opinion.;)

Might have to get someone else to lend a ear.

·
Registered
160 Posts
no update, haven't had the chance to ride. Just letting it run though doesn't seem to make it happen..
IMHO: You most likely need to plan on REPLACING the muffler ASAP before you mess around and ruin the engine.

Backpressure exhaust to the engine is not a good thing for even short periods of time and the muffler does not have any replaceable/repairable parts inside and it's not likely to cure itself permanently.

Most likely if you removed the muffler you will hear baffle guts rattling around inside that is restricting the exhaust intermittently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts