Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a super nice, and clean 1998 450 foreman from a friend. It was used rarely on acreage and never driven trough water. I took it to a river and when I try to cross a foot of water it stalls out. I think its electrical because all intake is still dry. Anyone had this problem or know if there is a coil connection or something that may need sealed? I liked the honda cause it has no belt, but yet still have problems in water. If it sits in place a few minutes it will fire back up and run untill I make a wake again.

·
Registered
391 Posts
How far is the water going up on the motor? just enought to cover the crankcase?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have a look at the carb breather hoses, when the water level gets to thier height it sort of plugs the hole so the carb bowl cant let air in so the fuel stops flowing, as soon as you are out of the water it will start and run. If this is the case you may need to rerout the hose.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Read the post... he's only crossing in a foot of water unless his quad has been slammed to the ground water comes nowhere near the carb, unless his foot and mine are different.lol try looking under the bike for chaffed wiring from all that rock climbing, stumpjumping water traveling you do.the harness is supposed to travel along the top of the frame but some of the sensors are located towards the lower parts of the quad. But I practice what i preach if had read more clearly i would have seen the wake comment. lol, lol how much wake? are you completly trying to washout the bike or just enough to get you through the water. then I would check things like lights, connectors and like Diesel stated the carb tubes (sorry about that Diesel). try buying some dielectric grease and put on all connectors liberally it will keep moisture out put it in the plug boot too! it also promotes better contact between connections.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Put the machine in your driveway and let it idle take a garden hose and spay all the electric connections till you find the problem.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Good Idean but I'd use a squirt bottle that qould isolate the area a little better

Put the machine in your driveway and let it idle take a garden hose and spay all the electric connections till you find the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts