Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 trx400fw. I bought it from my boss who said the front tire had locked up two years ago so he parked it but it ran fine before it got parked. I took a chance and bought for $350. I unloaded it, drained the gas, changed the oil, cleaned the carb, put fresh gas in it, wired a toggle switch to the oil cooling fan, took the front tire off and took out the break which freed the tire up. Pulled it around the yard and got it to fire up. I ran it for a week nonstop with the only issue being the starter solenoid would ground out and starter would go off randomly. Fixed that by wrapping the solenoid with electrical tape. Two weeks ago my neighbor and I were riding the woods and I went over a large tree to see if I could. When I got over it I shut it off to use the bathroom but when I tried to start it I couldn't get spark. He towed me out and we tried to figure it out. I downloaded the service manual and I went on a eBay spree. I bought a cdi/icm, coil, regulator, and pulse generator. I replaced it all beside the pulse generator and no spark. I managed to replace the pulse generator without taking the engine out and bam spark. Put everything back together and tried to start it up and it wanted to start and sounded like it was as long as I held the starter button. Checked the fuel didn't find anything wrong with it but drained it anyway and put fresh gas, air flow isn't an issue, carb is getting gas what else could be the issue? 9312319255 call or text or post below.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
have you checked the timing ?, checked the compression ?.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have compression I think, pull rope gets hard to pull after a few times. I have no idea how to check timing. Don't have a timing light. I have the service manual but not sure how to do it.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I have compression I think, pull rope gets hard to pull after a few times. I have no idea how to check timing. Don't have a timing light. I have the service manual but not sure how to do it.
you don't need a timing light to check the timing. read your service manual, it tells you how to check it.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
give it a short burst of starting fluid to the intake side of the carb, see if it will fire over then ?, if it does ?, then your not getting fuel to the motor. if it does not fire over ?, then your compression is too low ?, or your timing is off ?.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Starting fluid didn't change anything. Can you translate this page for me into moron for me. This is my very first time ever working in anything like this. Like what do I turn to make sure it's where it's at if it isn't?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
There are tons of YouTube videos that can assist you far better than us banging out words for you here although we can help you when you get stuck. Do a little homework, buy or borrow a compression tester and learn how to use it - more You Tube videos are available on that subject as well.

Every last one of us was a mechanical moron at some point and learned that there are few shortcuts or magic bullets to bike repairs.

We also don't play the "Swaptronics" game here and buy a bunch of unnecessary parts to simply throw at a bike in hope that it'll fix it. Its expensive and wasteful of your time. You need to be more methodical and deliberate here if you want to ditch that moronic feeling.

We can help you but you need a little skin in the game here, too. Seriously, we want you to succeed here.

Rick

Reactions: shadetree

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Does your bike have a battery installed?

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought all the parts I'd need cause I didn't want to sit around on one part then it not be it. Figured I depended on this thing out in the woods to start that I might as well get new parts for it just in case anything else went. I spent $80 for everything I listed above. So I have $430 invested in her. Not bad for an atv as long as I can figure out the fuel delivery issue.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Starting fluid didn't change anything. Can you translate this page for me into moron for me. This is my very first time ever working in anything like this. Like what do I turn to make sure it's where it's at if it isn't?
if it won't fire off starting fluid ?, then your timing is off ?, or your compression is too low ?.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Running without a battery will not be good. It is very tough on the stator and voltage regulator without a battery load. Bad things happen to the bike's electronics.

We call this "Cooking The Stator", among other things.

Rick

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Running without a battery will not be good. It is very tough on the stator and voltage regulator without a battery load. Bad things happen to the bike's electronics.

Rick

And when it's cooked you'll be calling it something else :sad:

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

Rick

And when it's cooked you'll be calling it something else :sad:
I can think of a few words to call it !..lmao.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
have you actually dumped a capful of gas into the cylinder via spark plug hole to see if it will fire then?

it should fire up spraying starting fluid through the carb, then again, weirder things have happened.

from the sounds of when you were riding it, the pulse generator let go, and it was running fine before hand. its unlikely the bike is out of time.

Its a possibility your flywheel key may be sheered, did you check that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a new battery for it. Never rode without it. I just took it out while working on it. I will try the cap full of gas in the spark plug hole tomorrow after work

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I have a new battery for it. Never rode without it. I just took it out while working on it. I will try the cap full of gas in the spark plug hole tomorrow after work
again !!, IF IT WON'T FIRE OVER FROM STARTING FLUID ?, then your compression is too low. no amount of fuel in the spark plug hole is going to change this ?!. no compression means it won't run..period !.

·
Registered
223 Posts

again !!, IF IT WON'T FIRE OVER FROM STARTING FLUID ?, then your compression is too low. no amount of fuel in the spark plug hole is going to change this ?!. no compression means it won't run..period !.

Yup simple 3 things required
Good spark
Fuel
Compression 2 outta 3 just won't work
Try a new plug
Starter fluid as shadtree has said, then look for other things,
When you install the new plug if ya don't have a compression tester, I have used the finger over the hole method for years lol, then its timing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I figured out it was a jet clogged up, I tried cleaning it over and over the only thing that helped was boiling it in a pan of water then poking the gunk out, go to try it again and bam no spark issue again. Always had it hooked up to a running car as a battery source. So stator shouldn't be the issue I don't think but hell I have already replaced the pulse gen, regulator, coil, and the icm. I am so lost right now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts