Honda ATV Forum banner

'97 TRX300FW Runs awesome for 20 mins then vapor locks

5K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  shadetree 
Yep, take the petcock out of the tank and either clean the screens and put new seals in the valve assembly, or replace the entire thing with a new one.

Welcome to the forums!
what he said ^^^ !. the pick up screen, which goes up in the tank from the petcock might be clogged ?, or..there is also a round filter inside the petcock bowl under the bottom of the petcock.

Reactions: retro
You do have a clean fuel filter on it right...?
ehhhh..most from factory do not have an inline fuel filter ?, most owners add them on their own :). only filters they come with is the pick up screen in the tank from the petcock, and the round filter that's in the petcock bowl.

Reactions: retro
I deleted my post above cause you had the best answer... guess I had better put it back? I can arrange for cookies too if you like! LOL
lol, nah..your post was fine, no worries.

Thanks for all the responses!

I guess I don't see how it could be the petcock if it runs fine but i guess that makes sense. it's filling the bowl. running off that and then when the trickle can't keep enough in then it dies.

bummer, it's got a good deal of fuel in it. I hate siphoning gas I already paid for.....
pretty simple here, start by turning the fuel off, remove the bowl from the petcock ( 10mm wrench or socket ), clean the filter out if dirty ?, as well as the bowl ), see if that works ?, if not ?, you will need to remove the petcock from the tank, so you can see if the pick up filter is bad ?, clogged ?. also , MAKE SURE YOUR TANK IS FUEL OF GAS !!, yes..i have seen owners sware there was fuel in the tank ?, and they was trying to run it on '' on '' ?, instead of '' reserve'' ?..lol.

last but not least ?, your float needle can be sticking closed ?, but I would start at the petcock first !, and work my way to the carb :).

thanks shadetree

yea I should have switched it to res when i had the line off and no fuel. I didn't realize the petcock came apart without removing it. *I've been up for 20 hours, I should probably clarify you are saying that I can take the petcock apart with fuel in the tank as long as the shutoff is horizontal?

anyway, yea, It's not a big deal. I just wanted to add the siphoning joke that probably wasn't half as funny as I thought it was :grin
your welcome. yes, you can take the petcock bowl off the tank when you turn the fuel off. but as you know, or will know !..lol. you cant take the whole petcock off the tank !..lol. but by turning the fuel off,yes, you can remove the bowl from the bottom :).

I think I've been up for about 30 something hours ?..wanna trade ?..lmfaoooo.

Lol nope, No trades! I've found 15-16 hours is the ideal for me and anything after that I'm just worthless and then the next 3 days I'll sleep 4 extra hours each.

Yea I removed the petcock from a foreman 400 I had (the wife's bike, had more problems then a Polaris) just didn't know the petcock came apart without taking the whole thing out. So I'll give that a try.

I'm planning on replacing the fuel line and I'll add a clear filter. Ill have to put one on my 93 as well.

I'm really looking forward to not having more issues with this bike. We're planning on taking them out with us Memorial Day and if I didn't have to push it back to camp maybe my wife would finally be happy with it! (The crappy foreman was hers and when we got this and found out it had problems she's just pissed at the world. ..at least a 300 is worth fixing. Lmao
all Hondas, or and brand for that matter, ( but i'd rather have a Honda ) are great atvs, IF YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM !..LOL they must be gone through now and then, oil filters, air filters, fluids, grease, you name it

That foreman wasn't worth what I sold it for. I'll just say that..

Anyway, I got the petcock out and the lower level (reserve portion?) is collapsed

I'm guessing that is adding to the problem however everything seems clean ish and has poured freely when I switched it to reserve. I think stupidity was a factor on this one..

Anyway, the collapsed screen kinda bothers me. Is that common for the 300s?

i doubt my Honda dealer would have the screen in stock.
that area has nothing to do with the reserve. only lever, and the pick up screen that goes up into the tank determines when on reserve ?. that filter/screen goes bad a lot over the years, not really needed if you want me to be honest ?, if ya put an inline filter in between the petcock and carb ?, you could run it like that with no problems. also, even if Honda does keep them in stock ?, i'm sure that thing would cost you about 20 bucks or more ?..lol. your main filter is the filter that goes up from the petcock, into the tank !, if that gets clogged ?, fuel won't flow at all.

another thing to think about ?, the gas cap has a knob on it, it has a '' on '' and '' off '' , make sure the lever points to '' on '' !!, if it's not ?, the tank won't vent !.

They had them in stock $27 which I really can't complain I was there and I could have taken it home same day. Really, that's kinda unbelievable.

The other thing they had was the whole assembly for $62 including the screen. Again, pretty awesome

I almost bought the whole thing but I think I'm going to take the shop owners advice. (He's in his 80s and still helping people at the counter!)

He said take it all apart. Inspect the tank real well and clean it if it's dirty. Blow air through the shutoff valve. If the screen doesn't have holes - use it.

I plan to do that and obviously the inline filter.

I still think your right, shade tree. It needed to be on reserve and it took me taking it apart to see how it works to accept that answer lmao
lol, trust me bro, your not the first person I have seen run across this issue ?, AND YOU DANG SURE WON'T BE THE LAST !..LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.