Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 97 Fourtrax 300FW it has the factory/dealer option cooling fan. I have not had it come on. I have had the oil temp light come on a couple of times so I know it needs to. I have put power stright to it and it comes on so in know the fan is working condition. can someone explain when this needs to come on. bike runs warm in the summer and trying to fix it now.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
the fan should kick on when the oil temp reaches a high heat ?. if it's not ?, then I would guess your alarm box that controls the oil temp sensor, and fan, is not working correctly ?, either that..or your not getting power to the fan through the wire harness ?.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
worked on it a little longer. I tricked the alarm box to have the oil light come on for testing purposes. could hear the relay click when the light came on. but no power out to the fan. also the pink wire has power as well so power is getting to it.

does anyone have a schematic for the relay? internals?

I know the fan works when power is put to it. I also ran a jump wire from where the plug is on the relay to the batt and the fan kicked on so I know the wiring harness to the fan is good. (unplugged the relay before doing this)

might just be a relay. are all the alarm relays the same or ones with the fan different?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
worked on it a little longer. I tricked the alarm box to have the oil light come on for testing purposes. could hear the relay click when the light came on. but no power out to the fan. also the pink wire has power as well so power is getting to it.

does anyone have a schematic for the relay? internals?

I know the fan works when power is put to it. I also ran a jump wire from where the plug is on the relay to the batt and the fan kicked on so I know the wiring harness to the fan is good. (unplugged the relay before doing this)

might just be a relay. are all the alarm relays the same or ones with the fan different?
prob your relay is bad ?. I don't know what it calls for ?, as I've never seen a trx300fw around me that had the fan installed ?, but I do know how they work, or should ?..lol. see if your getting power out of the relay to kick the fan on when you do the trick part again ?. is the fan ground clean and tight ? ( just asking ).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not getting power out of the relay, but again I do think the oil light is what triggers it. but not 100% sure. at this point thinking my best bet is to put a toggle switch that is key on and toggle on off when running only. ground is clean from fan as well.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
not getting power out of the relay, but again I do think the oil light is what triggers it. but not 100% sure. at this point thinking my best bet is to put a toggle switch that is key on and toggle on off when running only. ground is clean from fan as well.
oil temp sensor triggers alarm box, which turns your oil light on. if your not getting power out of the relay ?, then that's your problem.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
You're doing a great job of isolating the components yeah I think the relay is not working. Can you get another relay? Your switch idea sounds good esp as a short term fix

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I just looked your model up, and found the fan kit, it has a fan control unit that operates the fan, is this what your calling a relay ?, or, are you talking about something else you found ?. the fich shows the control unit as part #15 when i looked it up, and i think it's discontinued !.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
When you did your jumper test and the fan kicked on that tells you the alarm box is bad.

also, in the past, the way I have quickly found out if they are bad is When you turn your key on, does the oil light come on the quickly shut off? if not, that's a sure sign that the alarm box aka relay is bad.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I had the same issue with mine, it's currently wired to a switch for me to manually switch on and off as necessary. It was easier and cheaper than sourcing a new control unit, also works just as well.
As shady has just said, they may be discontinued so your only options are a second hand unit or run a switch unless you find a simple fix that is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no power out of the relay. so yup that is the problem.

looks like I will be doing the switch thing if it is discontinued. dont really want to put a used alarm relay in just for this to happen again in a year.

looked up parts finder online as well and it is part 15 on hondabikes.com under cooling fan kit. and discontinued..... great.

will check on the light flash when first turned on when i get home thanks!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
no power out of the relay. so yup that is the problem.

looks like I will be doing the switch thing if it is discontinued. dont really want to put a used alarm relay in just for this to happen again in a year.

looked up parts finder online as well and it is part 15 on hondabikes.com under cooling fan kit. and discontinued..... great.

will check on the light flash when first turned on when i get home thanks!
your welcome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ended up wiring a switch for the fan. found a key on circuit and put a switch on it.

oil light did not come on when key switched on.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
ended up wiring a switch for the fan. found a key on circuit and put a switch on it.

oil light did not come on when key switched on.
if and when the oil temp sensor ever goes bad ?, then the oil light may never come on ?, or if the alarm box fails ?, then the oil light may never come on ?!..lol. keep this in mind in the future :).

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
What oil are you running in the machine? Any mods? Running well? I very rarely see the temp light on mine without the fan, only time it's ever come on was a 30 degree day where it towed my Rubicon 5km through swamps to get it out of the bush...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have had the oil light come on. running honda brand oil the dealer recommand. the bike "smelled hot" as well from time to time. but might be the mud cooking...

no mods stock size tires, I weight under 200 so not too much for weight on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts