Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I believe is a 97 foreman 400fw that my buddy was gonna junk and I couldn't let it go to waste because I'm a Honda guy and it has a new top end including a jug and a new carb. It just needed a few things and cosmetic work... Anyways I thought my headlight switch was bad cause it was original and I had no lights anywhere so I installed a new one and still no lights! I've checked every plug and fuse I can find and still have no idea why I do not get power to the wires for any lights?! Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
a 12 volt dc test light works wonders for tracing power loss !.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is the color of the wire keeps changing color and I'm trying not to just destroy the harmed pulling it apart

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
The problem is the color of the wire keeps changing color and I'm trying not to just destroy the harmed pulling it apart

you don't need to pull any wires apart ?, just start at the fuse block and battery, most are big red wires, they go to the fuse block, then to the ignition switch, from the ignition switch, they go to the light switch then to the lights. most wires for lights are color coded white, blue, and green for Honda. this is a very simple trace test, just takes a little time to trace.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
and when I say a 12 volt dc test light ?, they have a sharp point on them, they are made this way, so you can probe right through the wire insulation without destroying the wires :).

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Ok I've got several testers I'll give this a shot ASAP! Thanks!

your welcome. don't forget to remove the head light socket, turn the lights on at the switch, and see if your getting power to the socket ?, could just be a corroded socket ?, bad light bulb ?, hard to say ?, but that test light sure makes it easier to narrow it down :).

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Does this machine run otherwise? Do you get taillights and brake light? Oh I see you said no
Do you have the manual there should be a schematic. Check in vicinity of gas tank could be there's a broken wire or loose connection caused during the engine or carb work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's is no power at any sockets at all there are no tail lights or headlights. I was installing flush mount cubes and couldn't get power to them so I started testing every light socket and I get nothing. The bike runs good I just need a new starter relay to start it right now

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Ok i would think there's a harness connector unplugged. Referring to the schematic, I would start from the fuse box (main bus) and go forward. Locate each connector. Inspect for connection and look for broken wires on the back shell of each connector. Once you are satisfied they are all connected then go back and test for power with the test lead by connecting to the hot lead and touch ground. The test lead will light if power is coming from the main bus.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've actually allready been through all the plugs and or connectors but I will check again

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took it out completely cause I'm waiting on a new one but I had this problem before I removed it. I might be wrong but I wouldn't think that it being bad would cause this problem seeing how it doesn't make contact untill you push the start button??

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Chapter 20 you're starting at fuse position B? Tracing a Bl/Br? wire which feed your lights
It looks like a Bl wire feeds that bus? Check for power there

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
I would think it's being fed from the ignition switch

That takes you to a R wire then back to the main fuse which goes back to a diode check for continuity there if it's open both ways the diode is bad

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
A diode prevents current from going backward in a circuit.

Not a stupid question not at all

What you see there is a higher amp circuit and a lower amp circuit connected the diode allows one to power the other and prevents vice versa

1 - 20 of 62 Posts