Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I’ve searched through these forums and although I’ve seen plenty of posts I have yet to find anything with an answer. With that being said here is what’s going on.

Bought a 97 300ex. When I got it it had a switch wired to the starter solenoid to get it started. The bike itself ran great then one day it just wouldn’t start. When I got it it did not have any neutral or reverse lights either. I did wire up ancheap light from autozone to tho just to see if all that worked.

So far I’ve put a brand new battery in it- yes it’s filly charged.

3 different solenoids including a brand new oem.

It will start when jumping the solenoid.

I have a brand new start switch assembly. When I press the start button the “neutral light” brightens but that’s it. I don’t get a click nothing. Again brand new oem solenoid. However. I tested the solenoid by hooking the meter up to the y/r and y/g wires. when I push the start button I get nothing. I tried a new reverse cdi box. Also should mention I grounded the wire for the neutral safety switch which did make the neutral light illuminate. Could I have a bad neutral safety switch or bad reverse switch?

I have also tested the entire wiring harness. Have continuity and no breaks or damage. Everything is properly grounded clean etc.

Im stumped. Thanks in advance for your help !

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: Unplug the Ign. switch --- you should have 12 VDC on the red wire (Harness side) to ground. If you have 12VDC there -- disconnect the clutch switch and jumper the G and G/R wire together to see if the bike will start.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Melatv. I check the ignition and I am getting 12 vdc. Also jumped the clutch switch. Still nothing !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the bike may think it is in reverse and it’s not. I connected my light to where the reverse light indicator is and it’s shining bright. How can I fix this or temporarily bypass it ?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: Unplug the reverse switch right at the switch -- see if it will start

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi: Unplug the reverse switch right at the switch -- see if it will start
I’m going to give that a try. I did unplug it at one point but I never had the neutral grounded. I’ll let you know once I check it out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried unplugging it. Still nothing. Got the new starter and reverse switches in. Installed. Still nothing. I’m at a loss

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: Try this with your tester -- unplug the 4 pin connector on the reverse inhibitor unit and check for 12 VDC on the Bl wire with the key on.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
There is a bad connection some place -- unplug the Bl wire on the Ign. switch and test the voltage there.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: What voltage do you get on the Y/R wire at the solenoid when Ign. switch is on and the start button push in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi: What voltage do you get on the Y/R wire at the solenoid when Ign. switch is on and the start button push in.

I took some pics. I know it’s kind of a mess right now but maybe there’s something I’m missing.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Now check the Y/G wire on the solenoid -- Unplug the Y/G wire on the solenoid place you black lead of the meter on that Y/G wire and the red lead of the meter on the positive post of the battery -- what do you read?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now check the Y/G wire on the solenoid -- Unplug the Y/G wire on the solenoid place you black lead of the meter on that Y/G wire and the red lead of the meter on the positive post of the battery -- what do you read?
We’re getting 12.47 on that one

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Do you hear the solenoid click when you push the start button? if not remove the Y/G and Y/R then put your meter on them -- with Ign. switch on and push the start button your meter should read 12 VDC

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you hear the solenoid click when you push the start button? if not remove the Y/G and Y/R then put your meter on them -- with Ign. switch on and push the start button your meter should read 12 VDC
No clicks and it’s only reading 2.78

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Try that again -- this time pull the clutch lever when pushing the start button

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
3 Participants
Melatv
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing