Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Fourtrax 300 4x4 and a '91 300 2wd. I can't believe how much faster the 2wd 300 is compared to the 4x4. Is this typical? Both bikes are running great with no problems. I just got the 4x4 and wasn't expecting it to be so low on power. I know there is about a 50 lb weight difference but this thing is a slug.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Look in the service manuals for each of them and find the final drive gear ratio specifications. One of them are geared to be a tough, all terrain, no place it can't go, work horse...

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
They are geared the same, and have the same power. Other than one being 2wd and one being 4wd there isn't much that is going to change the speed or the feel of how fast they are. The 4wd will feel more similar to the 2wd with a 424 kit, but I don't think the difference between the two should be that apparent.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
They are geared the same, and have the same power. Other than one being 2wd and one being 4wd there isn't much that is going to change the speed or the feel of how fast they are. The 4wd will feel more similar to the 2wd with a 424 kit, but I don't think the difference between the two should be that apparent.
I was wrong sorry about that! Thanks mac102004!!!

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
the 91 is a bit more powerful , I have read there is about a 2 hp difference in the years you have , also like MAC said , the 4x4 is 4x4 all the time so that puts a drain on it , get the 4x2 kick out , you will love it , then you late model might be a bit more worn out , do a compression test , my wife's 90 engine in a 96 frame was a totally different ride compared to my 95 , after a fresh jug , early mod cam and a Rick's CDI I'd say I caught up with her , but I stretched out the timing chain in 35 hours from not changing the cam sprocket ( I hope ) , that is a work in progress , parts suppose to get to me Monday , hope to be running it next weekend

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2003 rancher 350 4x4 and a 2001 rancher 350 2x4 and the 4x4 is alot slower but I have recently found that my 4x4 had a gear reduction from one of the previous owners u might check for that, and yea for 360$ you can get the 424 switch out, it's great you'll love it

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts