Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 fourtrax 300 4x4 took it thru some deep mudholes sat and have developed a loud whining noise i think coming from the rearend. i jacked it up best i could to drain the rear and cant get it high enough to get the rear to drain?anyone have any tips on this?and does anyone think i just got water in the rear or is this a common problem

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You shouldn't have to jack it up to drain the gear oil, it should drain out sitting level. I would drain change the gear oil and see if it still does it. If it's whining, it may be dry and there might not be any to drain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats what i thought at first so i sit it down and then started to refill it and everything i was putting in it was being spit back out like it was full maybe jack the rear up and poor some in it then sit it back down?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
well thats what i thought at first so i sit it down and then started to refill it and everything i was putting in it was being spit back out like it was full maybe jack the rear up and poor some in it then sit it back down?
The diff on the Fourtrax 300 don't hold but just a very small amount of gear oil, 3 ounces to be exact.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that would be why none hardly went in lol.i changed the grease in both front and rear and nothin changed.after listening to it today sounds more like from the front really dont notice it until 3rd gear im kinda stumped any ideals

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
after listening to it today sounds more like from the front really dont notice it until 3rd gear im kinda stumped any ideals
Have you checked the transfer case to make sure it has oil?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes just did couldnt find anything in manual bout what it takes or how much so i topped it off it appeared low but im not sure just how much that it does take. im not real familar with atv's and i ve only had this one bout 2 months. did do some more checking with it sitting in neutral revving it up you can hear the noise and has a engine vibration say bout 1500 rpm. i checked the oil and no water has appeared to enter the engine.i bought this from my uncle and he had it for bout 4 yrs no problem he asked me if it may have a shaft that could be hooked to the tranny that could be turning when the engine is moving that may have a bad bearing causing the vibration and noise?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
he asked me if it may have a shaft that could be hooked to the tranny that could be turning when the engine is moving that may have a bad bearing causing the vibration and noise?
When you have it in neutral, there is no shaft turning. Since it does it in neutral, maybe the timing chain is making a noise.

yes just did couldnt find anything in manual bout what it takes or how much so i topped it off it appeared low but im not sure just how much that it does take.
You're not supposed to fill it to the top, just fill it up until it runs out the check bolt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
helmut where is the cam chain located?i cant seem to find it i ordered a shop manual last nite and if it somewhere where i have to have it all tore apart such as gas tank etc i was going to start doing that while my manual gets here.would that chain being bad also cause a vibration say bout 12-1500 rpm is where it gets noticeable?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
helmut where is the cam chain located?i cant seem to find it i ordered a shop manual last nite and if it somewhere where i have to have it all tore apart such as gas tank etc i was going to start doing that while my manual gets here.would that chain being bad also cause a vibration say bout 12-1500 rpm is where it gets noticeable?
The cam chain is on the right side of the engine. The bottom cam gear is on the right side of the crankshaft behind the centrifugal clutch and the chain runs up through the right side of the cylinder to the cam which is in the top of the head. The 300 has the overhead cam.

It's possible that a stretched timing chain could cause vibration if the chain is stretched bad enough because the chain would be slapping back and forth.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts