Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I had a running 300 that smoked very very bad, leaked oil, valves chattered louder than quad itself. Long story short, I had another 300 motor, so I put it on bc i really do t see what it could’ve hurt considering it has compression (I think) doesn’t leak oil, and appears to have never been took apart by someone that obviously didn’t have a clue. And I am getting strong blue spark, it’s not really hard to kick start it but it is hard enough that I feel as if the compression is okay, I don’t have a battery in it, does this matter? The lights are all unhooked at the moment, when I kick it the green neutral light comes on for a second then fades back out and there’s a loud cracking or popping noise coming from what sounds like compression release lever dropping back down but coming from the bottom of motor or atleast it sounds like!? Please help. I’m about to retire from the atv world before it even begins for me, only owned dirt bikes and motorcycles, bought six of these 300 in past year and none of them ever ran and this is the only o e left. Thanks

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Well I don't know about the sound from the bottom end, though the kick start itself will make some noise, especially when it ratchets back.

It's always fun trying to use an engine you've never heard running before and in completely unknown condition lol

You need spark, fuel and compression to make it run. You know you have spark, so make sure you have compression and fuel. If it has all 3 it should run.

You may want to hook a battery to it just to be able to use the electric start rather than trying to kick it all the time. Running with no battery is not good for it but it will still run without one so that's not the problem.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
what mac said ^^^. yes it will run without a battery, but is not good for it !. if you have fuel ?, fire ( spark ? ), compression ?, and the timing is correct ?, then it should run for a short second or two with a good kick start.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Shoot a bit of starter fluid in the intake. If it has compression and is timed correctly it should fire off since you know you have spark.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I don't know about the sound from the bottom end, though the kick start itself will make some noise, especially when it ratchets back.

It's always fun trying to use an engine you've never heard running before and in completely unknown condition lol

You need spark, fuel and compression to make it run. You know you have spark, so make sure you have compression and fuel. If it has all 3 it should run.

You may want to hook a battery to it just to be able to use the electric start rather than trying to kick it all the time. Running with no battery is not good for it but it will still run without one so that's not the problem.
Is there a way to post a short video of what I’m trying to describe? If definitely has spark and I guess it has enough compression to start because it is hard to kick.fuel forsure because the gas line is pouring fuel when removed from carb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YouTube, then send us the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The noise I’m referring to is hard to hear in this video but in person it sounds just as if the compression release lever does when it drops. You can hear it very clear at about 19 seconds in that video. Thanks for trying to help me figure this out. It’s greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Check out the service manual on setting the decomp cable. TDC just like valve setting 1-3 mm slack? Lube that cable mebbe stickin?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check out the service manual on setting the decomp cable. TDC just like valve setting 1-3 mm slack? Lube that cable mebbe stickin?
I rechecked the timing with a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and this is where I’m at w piston at its highest point. Is this my problem?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I rechecked the timing with a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and this is where I’m at w piston at its highest point. Is this my problem?
Jumped time and piston hitting valve. Check valve position at TDC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jumped time and piston hitting valve. Check valve position at TDC.
Goober, I got a feeling your right my friend. I’ll tear the valve cover back off in the morning and let you know what I find out. It’s been put back on with red silicone gasket maker anyhow, is this what I should use when I put it back together?

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
never...ever !!!..use rtv sealant !!!!, yamabond or hondabond for the rocker box.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
jumped time, timing is off. stretched cam chain ?, or sheered flywheel key ?.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can do a little engine work, top end mainly, not sure what a flywheel key is or even how to get to it. I guess I could attempt it though, if you guide me through it of course haha. I think that goober is onto something, he said in another thread that a cdi box won’t work on certain year models. Well I can tell you this much, the previous motor did run off the cdi box I have now but I’ve never heard this motor run before and the side cover and starter are all different? So this could also be another potential problem I’m worried about, I can easily put it back in time and replace chain if it’s stretched. I’m attatching a pic of the numbers in this motor I’m trying to get to run and could you all tell me if I need to get different cdi box?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
I can do a little engine work, top end mainly, not sure what a flywheel key is or even how to get to it. I guess I could attempt it though, if you guide me through it of course haha. I think that goober is onto something, he said in another thread that a cdi box won’t work on certain year models. Well I can tell you this much, the previous motor did run off the cdi box I have now but I’ve never heard this motor run before and the side cover and starter are all different? So this could also be another potential problem I’m worried about, I can easily put it back in time and replace chain if it’s stretched. I’m attatching a pic of the numbers in this motor I’m trying to get to run and could you all tell me if I need to get different cdi box?
you already stated in one of your post, your getting spark, and fuel, so this tells me your good on that much. what your not good at..is timing and compression, if the timing is way off ?, you will never get it to fire the spark plug at the correct time !. engine numbers dont mean nothing to me, I go by vin numbers, and I dont even need this , as you already said your getting a blue spark ^^^^^^^^^^^, what your not getting is what I have laid out here, timing, and spark at the correct time !. and you need to run a compression test, throttle held wide open, crank it over with spark plug in boot, laying on engine, what do you see on compression reading ?, you need at least 100 psi min for it to run !.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
oh, and the flywheel key is on the flywheel side ( left side ), its sitting down in the end of the crank in a slot, wedged between the crank and flywheel, this keeps the flywheel in time to everything, if this key sheers ?, then this will throw the timing off big time !.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
This pic of TRX300 engine numbers is out of the manual–the TE06E-82xxxxx engine you show appears to cross ref to a 1987 TRX250.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
This pic of TRX300 engine numbers is out of the manual–the TE06E-82xxxxx engine you show appears to cross ref to a 1987 TRX250.
lol, he put a trx250 motor in a trx300 frame ?..lol.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
So very important that you check the VIN regarding your saying it’s a 96 TRX300; you said the 1988 engine ran in it?

Okay so anyway see the parts link in my sig block? Click the rocky mtn link and select atv, then year, then you’ll see a list of quads with VINs. Search for your VIN and wallah you can determine your model year frame.

Engine Listing
https://www.hondashop.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Honda-Motorcycle-Model-ID-Chart.pdf

1988 project check this man out!
https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/builds-projects-diy/128424-1988-trx300fw.html

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts