Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I installed a 3500 pound winch on the fourtrax and let me tell you there is a tight fit and then there is putting the winch in a 300 lol but it is up and in there!! I would like to know where is a good place to put the solenoid and have a clean installation??

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Larry, It usually works best to put the contactor/relay somewhere under the seat, and near the battery. The main reason for this is because the winch manufacturers give you shorter leads to go from the battery to the contactor/relay, and longer leads to go from the contactor/relay to the winch motor..

Also, it usually stays pretty dry under the seat.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Well I put mine in the rear tool box and had to drill a small hole in the side right above the voltage regulator so the wires could go in. Then I drilled holes through the tool box into the batt. box so I could connect it to the batt. I have also seen (an really like) the solenoid mounted in front of the gas tank and under the fender on the right. Just take off the gas tank and there's a big spot you can put it in.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
LOL it is a fleet farm raider winch my buddy had and it hasn't been used much he gave it to me for free and free is good!! I bought a KFI mounting plate, and I just ordered a 50 foot synthetic rope for it to save weight on the bike. Like I said thou it is a tight fit, you have to take the front bumpers off and top rack and take loose the front plastic and then shove it up in there. Then put plastics on loose first and put bumpers on loose and kinda lift every thing up a little and tighten it. The free spool switch on the winch actually hits the plastic headlight cover a little when you turn it but it turns!! I guess I will put it in the trunk in the back I hate drilling holes lol but I will seal them up so the crap doesn't get in I guess!!

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
20,000 Leagues

that's was I was doing today ! ------- if you reverse the wires , used the long from the battery and the short to the winch , then you can put it were every you want

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts