Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got a great deal on a 95 TRX 300 FW. I think it's a great deal because it seems to run great. What maintenance should I do if I have NO idea what the previous owner did to it?

I've changed the Oil, Spark Plug and put a new air filter on it already. Fixed torn CV boots also.

Any fluids that should be changed or parts replaced?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Ok, I got a great deal on a 95 TRX 300 FW. I think it's a great deal because it seems to run great. What maintenance should I do if I have NO idea what the previous owner did to it?

I've changed the Oil, Spark Plug and put a new air filter on it already. Fixed torn CV boots also.

Thanks!
You might want to check the gear oil in the front and rear differentials. I would also check the oil in the transfer case.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts

Thanks!
well..i can give you a few things to check..but..it's a long list in some cases ..lol..first off..check your front and rear diff oil...jack the bike up.all 4 wheels..on front..grasp each wheel..spin it..does it spin easy ?..then..grasp each wheel..and see if you can move the wheel from side to side..up and down..does it feal like it's got alot of play in them ?..if it does..then you need to check your wheel bearings in the front hubs..and while your doing that..check your brake shoes...on the back..make sure your brake moves easy..and returns..grasp the wheel..see if you can go up and down..side to side..if it does..then your axle bearings are bad..or about to be...with some wd-40..spray the right rear axle..where the nuts are..spray the threads..let them soak for a few min's..with a couple of pipe wrenches..one on one nut..one on the other...turn the outer nut towards you..remove it..then remove the other one..after that..you won't see it..but..there is a very small o-ring behind that big silver washer..pry it out..after that..with either a 8mm wrench..or 10mm..< some honda's used both >..remove all of the outter brake hub cover bolts...remove the cover..inspect your brake shoes..are they worn ?..where your brake cables hook up on the brake arm..on the inside of the backing plate..does it move easly ?..or is it real hard to move ?..you may want to remove all the mud..dirt..what not from the inside of the brake drum..i'm sure it may have some in it..these are just a few things to check..oh..you may want to check your valves..more than likely..they have never been reset lately..lol.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Looks like that about covers it.

after that..with either a 8mm wrench..or 10mm..< some honda's used both >..remove all of the outter brake hub cover
All of the brake drum cover bolts on the Fourtrax 300 will be 8mm.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts

after that..with either a 8mm wrench..or 10mm..< some honda's used both >..remove all of the outter brake hub cover
maybe the owners put 10 mm in the ones i've worked on..if it was just one or two..i'd say yes..but..i've repaired alot that had 10 mm in them. and i'm speaking of the heads..not the treads..lol.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

maybe the owners put 10 mm in the ones i've worked on..if it was just one or two..i'd say yes..but..i've repaired alot that had 10 mm in them. and i'm speaking of the heads..not the treads..lol.
Some of them might be different then, but all the ones I've seen only have 8mm bolt heads holding the brake drum cover on. Oh well, it don't matter anyway. He will get the ideal.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts

Some of them might be different then, but all the ones I've seen only have 8mm bolt heads holding the brake drum cover on. Oh well, it don't matter anyway. He will get the ideal.
yep..spec after he has to take it apart a few times..lol

·
Registered
130 Posts

Thanks!
You might want to check the gear oil in the front and rear differentials. I would also check the oil in the transfer case.
i would just go ahead and replace all fluids regardless. oil is cheap insurance plus its good for the piece of mind.. my cousin is notorious for not caring about oil and changing it bc he said "i cant afford it":icon_ nono2:.. when he can he just doesnt. somehow those kaw's have not blown up. ill bet he has not changed the gear oil or the motor oil in over a year

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.