Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

ive seen on here a thread about the type 2 trx gears, on the casing it shows 5, but i can only get 4. found the owners manual and that also says 5 forward. (SL,1,2,3,4 whatever SL is? slow?) would there be any reasons i cant get 5 or was it just an urban myth? there was no real definitive answer on the other thread, it doesnt have a pull start it is just electric start if thats any help.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
SL is super low. You have SL plus 4 gears, that makes 5 gears ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm is it like a little click? i dont think i have ever come across this, ill have a look, maybe get it up in the air and try it with my hand, maybe being heavy footed it skips that gear?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Just count your forward shifts from neutral. The first forward gear shift up from neutral will be SL. Next forward gear shift will be "1", then "2",... etc.

SL + 4 = 5 forward gears

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the issue, i only count 4 forwards, i might be jumping through SL straight to 1st unless im being thick (this option is always a strong contender) and you have to pull the brake and hit the reverse button to engage SL ?

I would have thought flat out it would be a walking pace speed gear

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
All gears are up, SL 1234. Only reverse is down.
If your only getting 4 gears I shouldnimagine something isn't right inside, A gear selectornor something...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks for the help guys, i think friday evening im going to get it up in the air and go through it by hand (slightly more delicate than my untrained foot) and see if there is 4 or 5 and if by foot im skipping a gear or just being an idiot and miss counting them. assuming the answer is still 4 as 1st thought, im going to go through measuring crank or rear wheel speed vs rpm and see what im missing, ive got a single cylinder inductive type rpm counter that should be accurate enough, just hold it at 3krpm and flick through the gears measuring the speeds with a non contact tacho

ive found the repair manual online and it gives the ratios

Primary reduction 3.087 (71/23)

Gear ratio 1st 3.545 (39/ 11)

Gear ratio 2nd 2.267 (34/15)

Gear ratio 3rd 1.500 (30/20)
(TRX200D After '91 :) 1.632 (31/ 19)

Gear ratio 4th 1.042 (25/24)
(TRX200D After '91 :) 1.273 (28/22)

Gear ratio 5th
(TRX200D After '91 :) 1.042 (25/24)

Final reduction 3.500 (42/12) (done in the chain)

it appears they have shifted 3rd down added a 4th thats between the old 3rd and 4th and moved the old 4th to 5th, so if i do have an old type 4 speed i wont be upset at all but if i am missing 5th (old 4th) i will be upset and have to strip it down and see (which i really dont want to have todo)

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Either way it's not a big issue, with SL at least you can gear it up a little with new sprockets/chain wheels or fit slightly bigger tyres.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i cant seem to find any other sprocket combinations for that model. are they a standard fit for all honda models?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Contact Remthal chainwheels direct, they'll make any size you want, they may have blanks ready to cut for your model. Sometimes you have to send a template or your old chainwheel. Last time I bought a set was around 8/9 years ago, cost £40 for the rear and about £30 for the front.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Glad you found that missing gear haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update for future searches:

i put it up on the stand and manually flicked through it with my hand and found all 5, although 5th was present with hand it wasnt when riding it and using my foot, back to the workshop and hey its still there, run it for about 30 minutes flicking between 4th and 5th with my hand and it started to ease up and engaged easier. took it for a ride and found 5th with my foot.

now im not sure if the oil is a little thick and took a while to warm up or the way im leaning to is that its probably had 5th used a handful of times in its life and the engagement is still like new and needs some running in, maybe an oil change is needed (dont know when the last one was done, but the oil is still fresh) and put the correct oil in so that i know its correct.

the more ive used it the more 5th is easing up and the SL gear had some serious pull to it but when your on your own it does feel a little useless at times, i find myself flicking straight to 3rd at a walking pace and using the torque of the engine to accelerate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts