Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Don't forget to take the rear brakes and brake backing plate off after you take the two big axle nuts off the brake side.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
sure..i can try...lol..first off..remove the right side..brake cover..when you get to the brake drum..don't try to force it off..most honda's have a tiny o-ring around the axle right there..it's hard to see.not sure if you have one on yours..but check to see...remove it..then slide the brake drum off..remove the brake shoes..take all your brake cables off..lay them aside somewhere out of the way..unhook the air breather hose that leads to the brake backing plate..now..inside ..where your shoes were..should be 4 bolts in the center..take them out..after you get them out..the whole brake assembly should come off..now..if you don't have the left rear side off..wheel..hub..take it off..jam nuts and all..after you got all this..the axle should slide out from the rear right..hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
dang helmut..if i knew you were that fast..i woulda stoped typping..lmfao

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Hear is how to remove the rear brakes and backing plate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey kinda new here and seen that this was a recent post while yall were on the subject of axle removals i was gonna see if one of yall might know what could be the problem with gear oil pouring out of the dust seal any advice helps just got the four wheeler is a fourtrax 300 but its a 99 figured there aint that much difference

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
hey kinda new here and seen that this was a recent post while yall were on the subject of axle removals i was gonna see if one of yall might know what could be the problem with gear oil pouring out of the dust seal any advice helps just got the four wheeler is a fourtrax 300 but its a 99 figured there aint that much difference
Which dust seal are you talking about? Are you talking about the dust seal in the rear brake drum cover? If you are, the inner seal in your differential case is leaking. And if that seal is leaking, then your axle bearings are probably bad, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yea im talking about the rear brake drum dust seal well i been lookin around trying to find a inner seal but cant find it even on cheap cycle and they got most everything already have the bearings and new dust seal

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
yea im talking about the rear brake drum dust seal well i been lookin around trying to find a inner seal but cant find it even on cheap cycle and they got most everything already have the bearings and new dust seal
Here is a link to Riva online parts finder:

Rivamotorsports.com's 1999 Honda ATV TRX300FW FOURTRAX 4X4 Parts List

#31 and #32 are the seals that you need. #32 is the one that's letting it leak into the axle tube housing and letting it run out the brake cover dust seal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
aright man thx yea i order it off cheapcycleparts (same diagram) i just thought that was the dust seal for some reason but thanks alot i got it all torn apart right now just now finally getting the dern brake drum cover off

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
aright man thx yea i order it off cheapcycleparts (same diagram) i just thought that was the dust seal for some reason but thanks alot i got it all torn apart right now just now finally getting the dern brake drum cover off
Yeah, I don't know why it says those diff seals are dust seals, because they're not. They're oil seals. They hold the gear oil in. The seal in the brake drum cover is a dust seal, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
was wondering what all i had to take off to replace that helmnut... thanks so much man been a life saver so far got to get this thing fixed for the kids so they can go to one of them colt ford concerts at a boggin park

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
was wondering what all i had to take off to replace that helmnut... thanks so much man been a life saver so far got to get this thing fixed for the kids so they can go to one of them colt ford concerts at a boggin park
You'll have to remove the axle and the brake drum backing plate and then you will have to remove the differential and unbolt it and take it apart to put the bearings and seals in. You won't have to mess with the pinion shaft if you aren't replacing the pinion bearings. And remember, the brake backing plate has a bearing in it, also.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
having a hell of a time gettin the brake drum off do i have to take the stuff on the backing plate off?
Did you remove the o-ring that's on the axle, under the front edge of the brake drum? If you didn't, it will be almost impossible to get the drum off. You will have to take a tiny screwdriver or pick and dig it out. You can't hardly see it, because it's under the edge of the drum. Here is a picture that shows it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
aright yea i couldnt find it i thought it might have just been missing but i seen it up under there just before i got on here do i have to take the lines off the backin plate as well?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
aright yea i couldnt find it i thought it might have just been missing but i seen it up under there just before i got on here do i have to take the lines off the backin plate as well?
What lines? Are you talking about the vent lines? I would remove any vent lines, as well as the brake cables, because the whole backing plate needs to come off to remove the axle and to change the bearing in the backing plate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I own a 1991 300fwd and a number of years back I welded the outer hubs to the rear axle as they had loosened up and worn the splines on axle and hubs. I'm currently repairing a stripped axle on a 2001 450s with a new ring gear and axle. Given my current visions of my own mechanical aptitude grandeur :icon_ nono2: I'm thinking about getting a new axle with hubs for the 300 and repairing it properly too. On the 450s the diff seals actually seal against the ring gear sleeve. On the 300 without an axle tube on the left side, I know from the pictures above that, the "dust seal" seals the axle, but does it also seal the ring gear sleeve? I'm wondering if the diff grease is able to get to the axle/ring gear drive contact area.

I think my 450s went bad because the bearing and seal on the left axle tube went bad and let water in which corroded the axle/ ring gear splines. I'm thinking that if the grease in my 300 diff is clean it should indicate that there is good chance the axle/ring gear splines have a good chance of being good too. Given what I've learned on the 450s I know if the splines between ring gear and axle are worn at all it's best to replace both.

The 300 is up at the in-laws place where I hunt (100 miles north)........which is why I'd like as much info as possible before I venture north to tear into the repair.

Thanks - Dan

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I own a 1991 300fwd and a number of years back I welded the outer hubs to the rear axle as they had loosened up and worn the splines on axle and hubs. I'm currently repairing a stripped axle on a 2001 450s with a new ring gear and axle. Given my current visions of my own mechanical aptitude grandeur :icon_ nono2: I'm thinking about getting a new axle with hubs for the 300 and repairing it properly too. On the 450s the diff seals actually seal against the ring gear sleeve. On the 300 without an axle tube on the left side, I know from the pictures above that, the "dust seal" seals the axle, but does it also seal the ring gear sleeve? I'm wondering if the diff grease is able to get to the axle/ring gear drive contact area.

I think my 450s went bad because the bearing and seal on the left axle tube went bad and let water in which corroded the axle/ ring gear splines. I'm thinking that if the grease in my 300 diff is clean it should indicate that there is good chance the axle/ring gear splines have a good chance of being good too. Given what I've learned on the 450s I know if the splines between ring gear and axle are worn at all it's best to replace both.

The 300 is up at the in-laws place where I hunt (100 miles north)........which is why I'd like as much info as possible before I venture north to tear into the repair.

Thanks - Dan
I'm not sure if I completely understand your question, but I'll try and answer it and if that's not what you're talking about, then tell me and I'll try again. LOL.

On the 300, the ring gear has a sleeve that rides on the axles bearings in each side of the diff case. The seals don't actually seal on the axle, they seal on the sleeve of the ring gear. So, you can pull the axle out of the diff with gear oil still in the diff and it won't leak out. Also, no oil gets between the ring gear splines and the axle spines. If this isn't what you are talking about, let me know.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts