Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 95 300trx that is having starting issues. It will not crank, but turns over well. I ground the spark plug and when first pressing the start button, I get about 3 or 4 good sparks, but none after that. If I release the starter button but don't turn off the key I get no spark. If I turn off the key and press the start button I get the same 3 or 4 good sparks and then nothing. I have replaced the CDI but am still getting the same result. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Your battery sounds like it’s okay you say it’s cranking well not firing?
You’re getting a steady neutral light and oil light comes on momentarily and then shuts off?
Did you replace with OEM CDI? Aftermarket CDI seem to cause problems because sellers don’t list proper applications—different CDI for certain models. 94-97 uses same CDI.
I would take the old one and dry it in an oven. Connector side up. No more no more than 200F for at least three hours. You want to dry it like you’re making jerky—don’t burn it. Let cool completely before you reinstall.

you could dry the alarm box while you’re at it but doesn’t sound like it’s giving you issues yet.

Give us an update when you can

·
Super Moderator
37,155 Posts
bad c.d.i. , replace with new OEM from honda, not some stupid china c.d.i. from ebay or amazon ??!!!.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Guilty...I did purchase a cdi online from Amazon. I'll order one from Babbitts next week. Question though...Babbitts lists 4 different 300's in two wheel drive. How do I know which I have? My vin reads out simply as a 95 TRX 300. The OEM for the 300 A and AN is 30410-HM5-505, whereas the OEM for the EX is 30410-HM3-003. Any ideas which one is correct. I bought the 505 as my first replacement. Thanks again for your time.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Great question
Rocky Mtn part (link in my signature block below) has a scroll which helps to coss-reference part numbers by VIN:
If you don’t see your VIN referenced in the list below, give us the first 8 digits.
If built in Japan will begin with J.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, after further research, using a different search engine, (bing) here is what I came up with:

"https://www.trxforums.com/forums/maintenance-important-information/979-300-fourtrax-brake-question-print.html"

"In 1995 Honda offered a TRX300-A TRX300-AN (2 wheel drive shaft driven), TRX300EX-A TRX300EX-AN (2 wheel drive chain driven) and TRX300FW-A TRX300FW-AN (4 wheel drive shaft driven) A was 49 state and AN was California"

Maybe that will help with the confusion. Working backward with my options (I have a 2 wheel drive, shaft driven manufactured outside of Ca. (actually Marysville Oh.)), I have a TRX300A! A lot harder than it needed to be! LOL!

·
Premium Member
12,438 Posts
Shadowfax , I wish I would have seen your post soon , I am into 300s and I could have helped you with the letters quick -----we been hanging out on a new atv site , this site died when they changed the format , check out www.atvhonda.com and put a thread up , there are no pop up ads

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks...I'm in the process of "cooking" my old CDI 3 hours @ 90. I don't know if that temp is high enough, but thought I'd start there. I'm not really expecting much, so I'm getting my pennies together to bite the bullet and buy an OEM cdi from Babbitts. Naturally, mine is the more expensive one, but considering the little amount of money I've spent on this beast over the last 24 years, I can't complain.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
OK, after further research, using a different search engine, (bing) here is what I came up with:

"https://www.trxforums.com/forums/maintenance-important-information/979-300-fourtrax-brake-question-print.html"

"In 1995 Honda offered a TRX300-A TRX300-AN (2 wheel drive shaft driven), TRX300EX-A TRX300EX-AN (2 wheel drive chain driven) and TRX300FW-A TRX300FW-AN (4 wheel drive shaft driven) A was 49 state and AN was California"

Maybe that will help with the confusion. Working backward with my options (I have a 2 wheel drive, shaft driven manufactured outside of Ca. (actually Marysville Oh.)), I have a TRX300A! A lot harder than it needed to be! LOL!
Great research
Yes the EX is the sport model i didn’t know it was chain driven.
Download the service manual for your model (1995 TRX300A rear wheel shaft-drive utility ATV) and see parts links in my signature block below.
The manual will show pics, describe model characteristics and help you service your quad.
If you look carefully at the part numbers for the A and AN—most likely they are the same. Possibly there are different numbers for wiring harnesses I don’t know. There may have been two assembly lines, one for the New Hampshire series and one for all others.
always buy OEM parts

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Thanks...I'm in the process of "cooking" my old CDI 3 hours @ 90. I don't know if that temp is high enough
yes 90C should be good — that’s 194F

you’re trying to drive off trapped humidity— from inside the case—which might interfere with circuit performance

·
Super Moderator
37,155 Posts
you need the trx300A version.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts