Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i would like to up grade my rear shock to a stiffer one but im having a hard time finding anything really, i found someone said to look at 300ex shocks
do they bolt right up?

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I'm not sure about if they will bolt right up. There are companies like GT Thunder that you can possibly send your shock and have them valve it to make it stiffer or just get a stiffer spring.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You can also buy spring spacers for sagging shocks that will stiffen it up.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Found a few things for you, I read on highlifter that the 300EX shocks actually RAISE the ATV up so if you put an EX shock on the back its going to jack it up a few inches. You would probably be better off going with one of these below. Unless you plan to put on a lift kit.

Progressive Suspension 512 SERIES REAR SHOCK from Hyperformance Parts

Brand New 93-00 Honda TRX 300 ATV Adjustable Rear Shock : eBay Motors (item 230445712188 end time Apr-04-10 14:37:35 PDT)
I heard that 300EX shocks on a Fourtrax 300 utility would make it ride a lot better.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Found a few things for you, I read on highlifter that the 300EX shocks actually RAISE the ATV up so if you put an EX shock on the back its going to jack it up a few inches. You would probably be better off going with one of these below. Unless you plan to put on a lift kit.

Brand New 93-00 Honda TRX 300 ATV Adjustable Rear Shock : eBay Motors (item 230445712188 end time Apr-04-10 14:37:35 PDT)
I heard that 300EX shocks on a Fourtrax 300 utility would make it ride a lot better.
That would be nice because I think they ride a little rough, however, I'm not sure on how much they will raise the bike. I just read that on Highlifter. I have no actual experience with it at all. If someone tries it please let me know! LOL I'd love to have some adjustment in my shocks.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

That would be nice because I think they ride a little rough, however, I'm not sure on how much they will raise the bike. I just read that on Highlifter. I have no actual experience with it at all. If someone tries it please let me know! LOL I'd love to have some adjustment in my shocks.
Yeah, they do ride a little rough. If I had a 300 I would try it, but I don't have one anymore.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
The '92-up Fourtrax 300's ride rougher than the earlier models do and the earlier models handle a lot better too. It seems like they would have improved them, but they went backwards with the suspension and steering, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
And power too I guess.. I'm sure glad I didn't get a newer machine. LOL I may have to put some blood and sweat into this one but I'm glad I have what I have.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
And power too I guess.. I'm sure glad I didn't get a newer machine. LOL I may have to put some blood and sweat into this one but I'm glad I have what I have.
The '88 models are the best ones. I would pick the '88 over the 2000 model.

I tried to send you a private message, but I got an error that said:

"Fourtrax has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The '88 models are the best ones. I would pick the '88 over the 2000 model.

I tried to send you a private message, but I got an error that said:

"Fourtrax has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."
Yeah I fixed that.. you can try again.. LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I now have a 96 300 fourtrax. Are there some upgrades from the earlier models to help with the handling, performance, ect..... that i am hearing got lost as they became newer? I did read in one of the other posts something about the older cam being an upgrade for the newer ones.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
So I now have a 96 300 fourtrax. Are there some upgrades from the earlier models to help with the handling, performance, ect..... that i am hearing got lost as they became newer? I did read in one of the other posts something about the older cam being an upgrade for the newer ones.
I don't think any of the front suspension parts will interchange, because the older models had struts and one lower A-arm. 1993-up changed to shocks with an upper and lower A-arm. This is just the 2wd model, because all the 4X4 models had shocks, opposed to struts. The reason they won't interchange between the early 2wd models and the later 2wd models, is because the frame is made different.

Yeah, the '88-'91 had a bigger cam and they also had a different pipe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
so for suspension and handling, what i got is what i got. oh well. this thing so far seems to handle, ride and steer better that the one i retired so i have no complaints. as far as power, you can never have enough. is a factory 88-91 pipe the best thing to buy or can you get an aftermarket exhaust for these? and does that cam swap right in without needing anything else besides the obvious tuning differences with jetting and such?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
so for suspension and handling, what i got is what i got. oh well. this thing so far seems to handle, ride and steer better that the one i retired so i have no complaints. as far as power, you can never have enough. is a factory 88-91 pipe the best thing to buy or can you get an aftermarket exhaust for these? and does that cam swap right in without needing anything else besides the obvious tuning differences with jetting and such?
If I were going to put a pipe on it, I believe I would get an aftermarket pipe. The pipes on the '88-'91 are made different, but I don't really know if they're any better or not. But I've noticed the same year they changed to the milder cam is also the same year they changed the pipe. Also the '88-'91 pipe will bolt up to the newer models at the head, but the mounting brackets further back on the pipe don't line up and you have to fabricate some sort of mount. I believe the aftermarket pipe would be a better choice. I've never put an aftermarket pipe on a 300, but I've seen them. They might be hard to find now, though, because I haven't seen one in a long time.

As far as the cam, it just changes out with no modifications needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
maybe one day i will have to get a cam for this thing. but i have some more important things right now. but i was looking at exhaust on ebay and it looks like the only aftermarket one on there i found for the 300 fourtrax was cobra quiet system. you know of any others? or maybe know something about the cobra system? appreciate all the help. you guys are very informative. whoever came up with the idea of forums is a genius. not the first time i've used one, but almost always impressed with the help and info you get off of them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts